ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applejack as an older Shetland Pony

Katsunami Guest

Applejack as an older Shetland Pony

That guy from the Mahalo channel on youtube (the one that does tutorials on ArtRage) put me into a My Little Pony mood...

The main lead ponies in the series seem to be teenagers somewhere around 15-16 human-like years old. I've decided to pick Applejack as my first try. Because I refuse to do only a copy from a reference even when learning stuff (just a weird quirk of mine...), I opted to try and "re-invent" her. I've tried to make her a Shetland Pony in her late twenties or so, with a more adult and powerful body shape compared to the young Applejack from the series. I've retained her trademarks: the hat, hair, and her "one leg up" pose, or she wouldn't be Applejack anymore

Please keep in mind that I've only got my (first) Intuos5 tablet 3 days ago. This is the first-ever drawing after the age of 5. I hope you like it enough to be interested in the colored and shaded version later on

I must "unflatten" the table, and make the hair in her neck less rigid. Somehow...

Someone with half-decent drawing skills would probably take about 5 minutes to draw this, and another 5 to ink it, for a grand total of 10. It took me 10 hours, up to now. This is going to cost me a lot of Wacom nibs I fear. Ah well, if it must be so
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applejack-shetland.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	70195  
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.

HaHa!!! Love your attitude, hope you have great fun here!
    Last edited by Shibui; 09-16-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Katsunami Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibui View Post
    HaHa!!! Love your attitude, hope you have great fun here!
    Thanks, the fun will be had Should have started this drawing thing 10 years ago when I first learned of the Intuos tablets. But then there wasn't any ArtRage. Simple, but quite powerful under the hood. Being a software engineer, I like such software
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Well done, it would appear you are very much like myself and discovered the pleasure in drawing and painting, later in life.
    It does not matter how long it takes to complete a project as long as it is fun along the way and you feel like you have accomplished something at the end.
    I look forward to seeing your progression.
    Geoff

Well, I am not going to laugh (as you suggested I would in another thread) as I can't draw a pony's hind quarters to save my life (although I would attempt it for a date with Colin Firth but my husband would not allow it anyway - highly unreasonable in my eyes but there you go )

However, if I knew you well enough I would simply say "I will see your Little Pony and raise you an Action man" but as I don't I shall sit on my hands and resist the urge to type...oh bother...

;D

And it is a very good Little Pony and a good start (says she who doesn't know a vanishing point from a light source)
    Last edited by suffolkgal; 09-17-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Katsunami Guest
    Thanks, Lime-g and Suffolkgal Drawing is actually easier than I thought. I'll post a little changelog.

1. Fixed the hair (this really bothered me)
    2. Made the legs sturdier.
    3, 4: Fixed the hair again.
    5. Get stuck at 3 and 4 for about 3 hours.
    6. Bigger cutie mark.
    7. Put the text balloon in.
    8. Started to paint.
    9. Do point 8 a load of times with different brush settings.
    10. Change the hair again.
    11. Put her freckles in (under the eye)
    12. Thickened up her eyelashes as per cartoon

And I'm still not sure if I should leave the line on her forehead in the hair or take it out (again).

Couldn't be easier

Now I just need to unflatten the table, find out how to actually do shading and then look up some tutorials about painting a background. Thank god for layers, or I would already be done for when using real paint. I'll be done in... oh... a week or so

edit: that's some big-time jpeg-compression over there... from 500+ kB to 88 kB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applejack-shetland.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	70210  
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
    Thanks, Lime-g and Suffolkgal Drawing is actually easier than I thought. I'll post a little changelog.

1. Fixed the hair (this really bothered me)
    2. Made the legs sturdier.
    3, 4: Fixed the hair again.
    5. Get stuck at 3 and 4 for about 3 hours.
    6. Bigger cutie mark.
    7. Put the text balloon in.
    8. Started to paint.
    9. Do point 8 a load of times with different brush settings.
    10. Change the hair again.
    11. Put her freckles in (under the eye)
    12. Thickened up her eyelashes as per cartoon

And I'm still not sure if I should leave the line on her forehead in the hair or take it out (again).

Couldn't be easier

Now I just need to unflatten the table, find out how to actually do shading and then look up some tutorials about painting a background. Thank god for layers, or I would already be done for when using real paint. I'll be done in... oh... a week or so

edit: that's some big-time jpeg-compression over there... from 500+ kB to 88 kB
    You will get there Yesterday I spent a large part, of the little me time I get, playing around with the layers in general in the studio pro version and exploring transparency. I also discovered, (bearing in mind I used Artrage 2 for about a year *blush*) the layers position can be changed by holding down the button on the layer you want to move and dragging it. Simple stuff to most on here but to me it was a very useful discovery and one I could have done with knowing several times over the past year lol.

Nice colours used so far, perhaps cartooning is going to be your genre

Ali
    Last edited by suffolkgal; 09-18-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Ooh and Someonesane (member of the forum) posted a very useful perspective sticker to upload into your program. There is also a Youtube tutorial to follow, which is how I found it in the first place oddly and it is a very clever idea and well worth having

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?31728-Comic-Book-Odds-and-Ends&highlight=odds+ends

Katsunami Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suffolkgal View Post
    You will get there
    Someday.

I also discovered, (bearing in mind I used Artrage 2 for about a year *blush*) the layers position can be changed by holding down the button on the layer you want to move and dragging it. Simple stuff to most on here but to me it was a very useful discovery and one I could have done with knowing several times over the past year lol.
    Please allow me to laugh. Here goes: "Mwuhahaha!!"

I think it's funny Every graphics program released in about the last two decades can do this

Nice colours used so far, perhaps cartooning is going to be your genre

Ali
    Nah. These are the default colors for Applejack. I just picked them with the eyedropper.

This drawing is way too small requiring too much background. Maybe I'll redo something like it, at one time. (I'm sure you can see the Apple pun in there... I hope...) I've tried to draw a huge version of Applejack's front mane and then paint and shade it with different hues. It turned out well. Maybe I'll try a frame filling portrait, using only the head from a reference drawing (And if that turns out well, I might just also try the other characters.)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
    Someday.

Please allow me to laugh. Here goes: "Mwuhahaha!!"

I think it's funny Every graphics program released in about the last two decades can do this

Nah. These are the default colors for Applejack. I just picked them with the eyedropper.

This drawing is way too small requiring too much background. Maybe I'll redo something like it, at one time. (I'm sure you can see the Apple pun in there... I hope...) I've tried to draw a huge version of Applejack's front mane and then paint and shade it with different hues. It turned out well. Maybe I'll try a frame filling portrait, using only the head from a reference drawing (And if that turns out well, I might just also try the other characters.)
    Ah I see, laughing at the afflicted, are we? ;P

Artrage is my first graphics program so it's taking me a while to learn how to use it properly, genetics didn't prepare me quite well enough for instant knowledge on such things, I blame my mother.

However, I am gratified to see the true colours for Little Pony have not escaped your notice and you are keen on authenticity, something to be encouraged

I almost pause to ask...do you have a model on your desk for easy reference?
    Last edited by suffolkgal; 09-19-2012 at 08:40 AM.