ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Another painting N00b. Hide!! :P

Katsunami Guest

Another painting N00b. Hide!! :P

Hi

After doubting about getting a drawing tablet since the days of the Intuos 2 (don't ask...), I got the Intuos 5 Medium a few days ago, to use in Lightroom and Photoshop for editing pictures. It works great, after a short time of adjustment. I've decided to *finally* start taking a look into drawing and painting, after taking up other forms of art earlier (photography, playing the Hammond organ, and beating people up, a.k.a. martial arts), but avoiding drawing because I just... can't draw. Still, I've always wanted to, and I'm often amazed to see what some people can do.

While I'm quite capable in the mentioned taking and editing of pictures, music and (some) martial arts, I'm a complete and utter n00b with regard to drawing ad painting. I don't know anything. When I draw a horse, it looks like a dog; that sort of thing. At the moment I'm feverishly reading some books, to see if knowing a lot of theory can get me started at least. (It did in photography.)

While Photoshop is great for pictures, it seems that most posts I've read about drawing and painting invariably lead to: "Don't go the Photoshop route for drawing and painting. Use Painter, Paint Tool Sai, or ArtRage." Well, I don't want to spend 400 or so on Painter (yet), I don't want to use Sai as it seems to be unmaintained, it's latest version being 4 years old, so ArtRage it is.

And it seems to at least do what I expected. I hope that's a good thing :P I'm a Bob Ross fan for as long as I can remember, and I remember many of his techniques. I just HAVE to try and see if they work in ArtRage too.

Wish me luck... maybe I'll have something to show, someday. Or not... :P
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Hello

Pleased to meet you and rather relieved as I can't draw either I am also into photography; brought on by a desire to capture that which I wish I could paint

Looking at some of the fabulous work on here yesterday when I arrived, I felt a little daunted but, going with the theory there is always room for a villiage idiot, I posted some of my efforts up anyway lmao

I have used Artrage 2 which came with my Bamboo Fun Tablet for a year and have now upgraded to the Studio Pro version and joined these forums. It's all rather inspiring around here and the natives seem friendly too which is always a bonus. You may like to have a glance at the Art Supplies section, there are some very useful downloads there to add to your program - brushes, stencils etc - I have used a few already.

Have fun

I think the main thing with art and getting into using Artrage is to have fun, you will not find a more helpful group of folks anywhere than on this forum.
    I like yourself am very experienced in using photoshop and my first idea in using art rage was to create backgrounds for photoshop.
    Then the bug got me and I just love using Artrage and with the help of the forum hopefully my work has improved.
    Have fun, jump right in.
    Geoff

Katsunami Guest
    Thanks both

The way I got here and found out about ArtRage, is quite ridiculous if you think about it. It's all Q's fault. Yeah, him again.

So, I looked for information about the Intuos 4 and 5 on YouTube before I went to buy it. But, I'm also a Star Trek fan, and sometimes watch funny re-edits of parts of the episodes on YouTube. I noticed that some people commented that John DeLancie (Q) does voice-overs for a character called "Discord". Not knowing who Discord was and always being curious, I found out that Discord is an evil dragon in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise. So I've found the two episodes in which he features on YouTube.

Shouldn't have done that.

Throw it all together. Star Trek, Q, My Little Pony, Discord, Wacom... Eventually some guy in his mid-thirties, with ponies on pink post-it's stuck to his Mac, doing tutorials about ArtRage (and drawing ponies) using a Wacom tablet pops up in your suggestions. Search for "Artrage Tutorial Ruler Tool" on YouTube for an example. And that's how I found out about ArtRage.

So Q did it. Logical.
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-15-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
    Thanks both

The way I got here and found out about ArtRage, is quite ridiculous if you think about it. It's all Q's fault. Yeah, him again.

So, I looked for information about the Intuos 4 and 5 on YouTube before I went to buy it. But, I'm also a Star Trek fan, and sometimes watch funny re-edits of parts of the episodes on YouTube. I noticed that some people commented that John DeLancie (Q) does voice-overs for a character called "Discord". Not knowing who Discord is and always being curious, I found out that Discord is an evil dragon in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchise.

Throw it all together. Star Trek, Q, My Little Pony, Discord, Wacom... Eventually guy in his mid-thirties, with ponies on pink post-it's stuck to his Mac, doing tutorials about ArtRage (and drawing ponies) using a Wacom tablet pops up in your suggestions. Search for "Artrage Tutorial Ruler Tool" on YouTube for an example. And that's how I found out about ArtRage.

So Q did it. Logical.
    I can see your mind works similar to mine...the tablets stop working years ago for me too lol Live long and prosper

The thing I would say to anyone knew to artrage is that you don't have to be able to draw. I was intimidated for most of my life from trying to paint, because I could not draw at all. It wasn't until I found artrage and tried it out that I finally realized the difference between drawing and painting.
    Relax, and have fun. Experiment with all the tools. Try every way possible of using them for things that they weren't designed for.
    There is no "right" way, only "your" way.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Katsunami Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    The thing I would say to anyone knew to artrage is that you don't have to be able to draw. I was intimidated for most of my life from trying to paint, because I could not draw at all. It wasn't until I found artrage and tried it out that I finally realized the difference between drawing and painting.
    Yeah, it seems that painting is less precise than drawing, or it's more difficult to be exact. At least, it seems so when I compare drawings and paintings that my late uncle made. His drawings (drawn and colored with pencils) have much more very small details than his painting, which rely more on light, shadow, color and shapes. It could also just be a difference in style between his drawings and paintings... I don't know.

(May he rest in peace. He tried everything he could with regard to photo's, drawing and painting. He's gone for 23 years already, but had he lived now, he would be 78. And he would have a digital SLR, he would have had a computer, and would have had every Cintiq since the first one.)

Relax, and have fun. Experiment with all the tools. Try every way possible of using them for things that they weren't designed for. There is no "right" way, only "your" way.
    Thanks

I'll see what happens. At first I'm going to go through some drawing/painting tutorials And as said, I HAVE to try some Bob Ross-like stuff. Been dieing to try that for ages.
    Last edited by Katsunami; 09-15-2012 at 07:45 AM.

... I can't draw a straight line with a ruler never held a real brush etc, and I can honestly say I know absolutely nothing about what 'art' is supposed to be, what its supposed to mean, I dont know the terminology beyond brush or goop thingy and i don't think i could name 5 'masters'.. but i sit here with artrage open, throw globs of paint at the canvas, move it around, overpaint it, play with it till something recognizeable appears lol. Sometimes it works out..sometimes it doesnt lol, but its always fun
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

Thumbs up Hi

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

With ArtRage and pen in hand (or mouse) you can have fun. Painting, drawing, sketching and use an photograph or any image to paint over or as a reference or layer or sketch over as well. Plugins for photoshop work too. It has so many possibilities for artists that it is hard not to have fun using it. The forums offer tutorials, art supplies and just good old Rager conversations and tips and critiques and well, friends. If you want to learn, you are here.

Don't forget all the free back issues of ArtRageUS Magazine too, all full of info and art by the Ragers on all levels for you. http://www.artrageus.net our magazine. Also, a tutorial and an Art Supply books are there too for download so you can work and read offline.

PS> I can not draw a straight line either so I use a ruler. I also use stencils and stamps. I still call myself an artist. Artist Tools are tools. Real world or digital.

Welcome Rager to the forums and ArtRage
    We all use it and love it, because it allows us to have fun and freedom to learn and do it in a digital world.