ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How can i fix this.. update

How can i fix this.. update

so that shes not quite so 'toothy'? comments welcome

This is my niece..and the reference pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manda1.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	69924
    Last edited by moosie; 09-06-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added update
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

Hi

I would tracing over the mouth and teeth for exact placement and size but that is the easy way. Then paint it.

Just a THEORY....IT MAY HELP. I am not so good at freehand painting so I have tried this way and it worked for me.

Good luck and happy painting......

Some things you can do:

Thicken up the lower lip a little bit and cover a bit of the teeth with it.
    Don't forget that teeth have shadows and that some gum shows! Once you do that, the contrast between the smile and the rest of the face will be less!

Hope it helps.

You know Moosie, your very close to nailing it! Don't give up!
    Don't you see she has no nose? I know you did a nose but its the shadows that are missing. That defines the nose more than the nose itself.

Now, the same thing goes for the mouth and everything else. On the very ends of the mouth are shadows and in other places on the teeth, Etc. Use the top ref pic to stake out the shadows and various darkness of shadows, the bottom ref pic is too washed out IMO but still valuable.

Remember to paint what you see and not what you know

Sorry if I was rough on you but you asked for help.
    You can do it!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thanks everyone

Bobbyray....I actually did line up her mouth with the ref pic lol..the girl has naturally large teeth( her mom calls them her $10,000 dollar teeth)

Homiedude believe it or not i've actually made her mouth smaller in the pic lol

Jibes i swear my computer is out to get me..I know i put all those shadows etc in there..they disappeared when i posted
    ...seriously what i see on my art rage canvas isnt always what it looks like when i post..and i know my room light changes my view of the screen as does the angle of my screen, i often have to get up and look at t he screen from a different angle to see exactly what ive done lol.

Your 'criticism' wasnt tough lol It was very helpful and its why i keep posting here
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

When doing a painting of someone you know ( which is most difficult of portraits ) then the elements of the face have to be spot on.
    Be sure and trace the various features from one of your samples or the likeness will not be there.
    Foe example looking at your reference photo's which I know are quite small I would say that the eyes on the painting are too far apart.
    This goes for the mouth and the overall shape of the face to get the correct likeness these things have to be exact.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Geoff

The eye goes to the area of most contrast first (and detail too but first likely issue is contrast in most pics). Your other features are close in values so they don't pull the eye as much as the white teeth against the skin/lips. So in order to balance it all, you need to punch up the rest of the head is all. As was mentioned, it's going great though!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

update..

Well I am rather pleased with this...but your comments are always welcomed

Name:  amanda current.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  57.7 KB
    Author Unknown

Well yes I like it greatly improved, just one tip the catchlights in the eyes should be in the same position on both eyes.
    Well done.
    Geoff
    Last edited by limey-g; 09-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.