ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: help needed

help needed

Ive been playing with painting various parts of human body..today its a face..but to me it seems out of kilter,,sort of squished or something..the eyes dont look right ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	69879
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

The proportion seem OK but the real problem is you have is not enough contrast. She barely has lips or a nose. These things have to be much more visible. You did a good job on the hair and some of the shadows of the hair but you need stronger shadows on the face (and the hair) as well.
    I suggest you use photo references for painting. That's not cheating like I used to believe, this will help you get things right. Just try not to make it look exactly like a photo or copy over it. And also an abstract background looks good too. Otherwise your on the right track.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Hope I can be a little helpful

I think you have done a pretty good job but might benefit from having the eyes a little lower with more forehead . I think that would help. I agree that shadows would help. As I remember having watched some portrait painters, they seem to block in the lights and darks first after getting the basic outlines . Keep on trying it is certainly learn as you go. Good for you!

The idea is good however the skin colour has to show variations in tone to give contours to the face. As to the eyes one has to remember that the lighting is the same for both eyes. So if you paint in catchlights they should appear in the same place on each eye given that the light giving the catchlights is the same for both eyes.
    Geoff

Thank you all so much ...this is the new version but i'm not totally happy with it... she looks like a zombie lolol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	69925
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

I did a little work on your portrait, hope you don't mind, this is the direction i would take it.
    You had far to much yellow in the skin along with a high cyan level, so I brought them a little into range as best i could without a makeover.
    I brought some shading into the face to give it some contours.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Geoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	69946  
    Last edited by limey-g; 09-04-2012 at 07:21 AM.

ahhh! thank you thats much better
    Author Unknown