Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pen Only Toolbar-- tester results and ideas

Hi maddog,

Iím Luc, the other guy whoís been developing this toolbar with Steve. I am not an artist (and donít really use art programs) and have been mostly involved in the programming part.

It does sound like some of the weird behavior you are reporting may be due to your computer playing tricks on you and that itís not related to the toolbar. But I encourage you to keep on reporting, as your comments are really helpful in trying to eliminate possible bugs.

1) If you want to minimize the toolbar, you can use the Minimize to tray item in the menu or you can just click on the tray icon to show/hide the toolbar. Note that you can right-click on the tray icon to access other options.
    Alternatively, if what you want is just to close the toolbar once youíre done, you can also either use the menu or right-click on the tray icon.

2) I donít have my tablet around to test right now but this sounds more like itís related to your computer and not the toolbar. But Iíll do some tests later on.

3) Steve and I have dealt with this problem in the past. I am guessing that you may have a rather old or somewhat slow computer. The creation of hover icons involves different delays and maybe your computer is a bit too slow to work with the delays that are now incorporated. We can change that in a future release, so thanks for reporting.
    In the meantime, you should still be able to create hover icons if you do this:
    Once the pod is under the crosshairs (and make sure the Options Menu is not under the crosshairs), click the corresponding checkbox on the Toolbar options menu to create a hover icon and TAKE YOUR PEN OFF OF THE SCREEN. You should see the cursor move around, then the hover icon should be present. Once the hover icon is present, you can put your pen back on the screen. (If you're using a mouse, just don't touch the mouse after hitting the checkbox.)

For the bug where you saw that ďcontrolĒ tag:
    Thatís your computer telling you that the Ctrl button is being held down. Could it be that you inadvertently pushed the Straight Line button on the toolbar? Thatís what this button does: when you press the Straight Line button, it presses and holds down Ctrl (and the button becomes blue). When you press it again, it releases Ctrl and becomes gray.

Thanks Luc for the input. I guess my computer is quite old, so that may be the source of some of the issues. I'm hoping to purchase the new Lenovo Yoga when it comes out. I'm sorry I'm not as savvy as I should be for testing purposes, so I don't know what might be happening on my computer or how to report it succinctly. Watching Steve's tutorials really helps as a benchmark to what should be happening, so at least I can then determine that I've done something incorrectly. Incidentally, if I could program like you can I don't know that I would focus on art either. Cheers, Guy.

hi steve,

... just wanted to say I've had time to watch both Toolbar videos, thank you, they are incredibly helpful and contain a wealth of information about the new Toolbar and AR, not to mention valuable insights into ways to improve workflow ...

... I'm sure users more familiar with AR Studio Pro than I am will have a lot to say right away ... I'll be watching the videos again, I need a bit more time to study the Toolbar interface and to familiarize myself with working in AR Studio Pro, and that means actually using my Wacom Bamboo, which has been collecting dust and now will be pressed into action ... as you know, I prefer the iPhone and iPad, but their limited view acreage isn't optimal. and with your new Toolbar, right away I'll have more working space to look at, and that's very stimulating ...

ps: about the palette idea, of course whether it's developed will depend on you and many users agreeing it's a good idea, in some form or another ... it occurred to me as I was installing the new Toolbar, so I wrote it down before I forgot it
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Hey Luc, just FYI, but Karen is stil having the same error message that you saw on the pic I forwarded to you. She says she's unpacking it and putting it on her desktop, but that it's not working. I asked her to report back here. Me and her may do an online meeting to see if I can help I'd the problem.

Steve
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Hey Steve,
    Yeah maybe if you conf with her you can see what's going on. There is definitely something strange with the picture as the address in the address bar does not fit with the address on the error message... From where she is, can she open the Files folder and launch the toolbar by double-clicking on Toolbar.ahk?

my glitch

When trying to create the hover icons, everything worked as promised for the settings and preset pods, but when I tried to set up the layers hover icon, it acted more like an ArtRage icon in that it would show and hide my Artrage session. The quick choice buttons floated on my desktop by themselves, but it's either my computer or there may be a language glitch for the layers pod. We'll see if anyone else has that issue. Thanks.

Hi maddog,

I'm glad it's starting to work out correctly. I think you'll find that hover icons can really increase your workflow. Plus they provide a very clean drawing environment.

In the next version, we will correct the code so that it fits with slower computers, so just hang in there. The fact that you were able to create two hover icons and not the other may just be bad luck. As I mentioned in the previous e-mail, with your slower computer it will be necessary to take your pen off of the screen while the hover icons are being created. The Layers hover icon is not very different from the other ones, so I think it may just be that your pen was still too close to the screen during the creation of the hover icon. So it would be appreciated if you could try again (and make sure to get the pen away from the screen) and report back with your observations. Thanks, and good luck!

Hi Luc, when I try to create the layers hover icon I'm getting a warning message box that says " The window in the middle of the screen has the same id number as the window in the upper left corner. This suggests that if you continue, the main window of your application will be transformed into a hover icon. Do you want to continue?" If I say yes, the hover icon appears, but when I click on it, only the quick select buttons appear and nothing else. Hope that helps you decipher any issues. Cheers, Guy.

Haha! Remember when I had this exact same bug on my computer Luc? And it was turning Arteage itself into a Hover Icon? I felt like it had something to do with a Wacom driver, and we had to increase the "pause" the Toolbar program took to recognize the Hover Icon. That rings a bell for me, and could be something we might be able to fix.

Maddog, to take a screenshot a lot of keyboards have a PrtScrn button (an abbreviation for Print Screen) up where the Fn buttons are, or just above it as part of the "special buttons" most of us never use. On my keyboard, for example, if I press Ctrl and the PrtScrn button it "copies" my screen for me-- I can then enter an art program like Artrage and literally paste tye screenshot onto the canvas. Then I save it like a nnormal image. You can write on the image too, etc because you're running it in Artrage.

If you can grabs screenshot, that always helps, but the info you're giving is very useful anyways.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

How does one participate in the testing?

I say this article online today and thought you would find it very iteresting. http://news.yahoo.com/84-old-just-pu...075119976.html It is an 84 year old woman who did a self portrait on an iPad using ArtRage. I am also going to include an image from the article because I think you will find the UI interesting. In particular, look at the toolbar on the right side of the image.

Name:  ipad-selfportrait-close-640.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  40.7 KB

This seems to me to be along the same lines as what you are working on. If ArtRage can do it on the iPad version, why couldn't the same thing be done on the PC version? I agree with you that having the large tool picker and color picker on the page while you are drawing sometimes gets in the way. They could take their same control as shown in this screen shot and incorporate it in the base product to make working like you are doing more efficient. One thing I have a concern about with you developing the capability independently (although I support you because I think it makes a better interface - less obtrusive) is that how will you be able to keep up with changes they make to the product in future releases.

I would like to see them work with you and your program to make this a part of the base product. I think it would be a GREAT enhancement to an already GREAT product.

Just my 2 cents