ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Nephew with his rabbit

Nephew with his rabbit

Hi, I am new to ArtRage and to the Forum. I hope I can learn a lot here! I made a drawing of my nephew and I would like to add a wooden background, like he is standing in front of a barn. Well maybe I will change my ideas, however I was looking for wooden textures and how to use them and have no clue. I can load them as image in a layer and then stretch them, however that looks a bit unnatural. Painting wood is difficult. I could try to use stencils ... ? Any ideas ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I changed plans and this is how the background was filled in:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wood Stencil

Making a stencil out of a wood graphic is fairly easy. Import a picture as a layer off the net, or a photo you take yourself, and follow the instructions to make a stencil. Then you can stretch it or patch it together, paint it a base colour you like, then work on it from there. Re: your flowers behind, bring them right to the edge of his face on the left so there isn't a break. The drawing style of the boy is really interesting but I wonder if the background is a little distracting (too strong). Keep at it!

Thanks for the advice, actually I used a stencil for this one.

Hey.. nice picture!

I actually really prefer the first image... it feels like it has a style, like a cool semi graphic look, but with the background added it just kind of messes it up a bit and is too distracting.. (for me ) less is more, is the phrase that comes to mind.

the top one reminds me of some david hockney portraits..

http://www.hockneypictures.com/works...0_04_large.php

if it were me id experiment around with the excact tone/hue/saturation a little.. (though what you have is nice) and then maybe give it a painted look by painting on some subtle lighter and darker strokes and slight shifts in hue,

like on the hockney painting in the background you can sense subtle greyed purples and yellows, yet it is all a kind of grey... but it doesnt feel like a flat static color, it has some life to it... personally id try that

though the background field could work if it was made much more subtle and less distracting and the colors were muted.. as the boy is the focus of the scene here, the background needs to complement that. i dont expect you to paint like van gogh but look at these tones... http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...h_2301653b.jpg imagine that kind of color muting in the background could really help.

by the way.. this is an amazing resource on color (its quite cartoon based, but full of very interesting insights, particularly about warm/muted/greyed colors)

http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.co.u...or-theory.html
    Last edited by matthewmoore3; 09-05-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Hi Matthew, thanks for the advice. I was looking for the contrast between foreground and background... so maybe more like van Gogh's Starry Night? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night
    I like his work very much (especially his work he painted in France) and also the work of Hockney e.g. the beautiful landscapes he painted in the south of England.
    However I understand what you are saying. At first foreground and background fitted better and actually that was the reason why I wanted to change it. Because in a way the serene way both rabbit and boy (my nephew) are looking is more special now. Like someone who can read a book in a very busy surrounding is special. Anyway, that was my idea when I changed it.

yeah i see what you are saying and actually i do like the contrast in the latest version..

maybe it is more the finish.. as they boy and rabbit are very careful and delecate, but the backround is sketchy, maybe this feels too mismatched... where as the contrast in the colors is ok..

i dunno.. nice picture either way

Cute.
    The background seems a bit out of place.