ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Gloop pen ends with blob

Question Gloop pen ends with blob

I'm new. When I trackpad paint with the gloop pen, it continues to flow after I stop dragging so the end of the stroke ends in a larger round area of paint. Is there a setting to change this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When you mouse up or lift your stylus, the gloop pen and any tools which flow like this stop. This means that ArtRage is not recieving a mouse up event from the trackpad.

Make sure that you are lifting your finger off quickly at the end of a stroke as any delay will allow the tool to continue to flow.

If you can let us know the following we may be able to make some suggestions which could help:

-What make and model of computer are you using?
    -Is the trackpad built in or separate? If separate, what sort of trackpad is it?
    -What operating system are you using?

Moving this to the technical support forum.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

System information

It does not appear to matter how quick I lift my finger up from the stroke. The extra paint at the end of the stroke is still painted.

I'm using a new Macbook Air 13" 1.8 Ghz, 8MB RAM

I'm using the builtin trackpad.

Operating system is OS X 10.8.1

ArtRage is Studio Pro 3.5.5

I'm thinking about getting a Wacom Intuos5 Touch Medium Pen Tablet but wanted to play around with Artrage using the trackpad first.

Brian

Thanks for the details. After you raise your finger, how long roughly does the tool keep spreading? ( does it keep going until you start a new stroke? )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Thanks for the details. After you raise your finger, how long roughly does the tool keep spreading? ( does it keep going until you start a new stroke? )
    Recently I posted a similar question for the watercolor tool on the iPad, and here is Matt's reply, maybe it will help you sort this out?
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...-update-Thanks
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Post run time following finger raise

Dave,

The color is applied as during the stroke and continues after my finger is raised for about say 1/2 a second. Because the tool is not moving, the color is applied where the finger is raised resulting in the bulge at the end of the stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Brian

We've just tested this here on an Air and we're not seeing the problem, we've also tried a couple of other Macs with trackpads just in case and the only time the stroke ends with a larger blob for us is if the finger moving the stroke stops moving before the press on the trackpad is lifted. The gloop pen sprays paint as long as the 'mouse' is down - In other words as long as you have a finger actively pressing on the trackpad to do the drag. If you're triggering the mouse click with one finger and dragging with another, lifting the 'click' finger before lifting the drag finger could resolve the issue. Otherwise, it sounds like there's something on the system interfering with the trackpad data.

Could you contact us directly (support@artrage.com) and we can go over what's on the system to see if anything could be interacting with the app and causing the problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Possible answer

I may have figured it out. Verified that none of my running applications were the cause by closing everything except artrage. I next went through all the system settings and turned each setting off to see if it had an effect. The setting that appears to be at issue is:

settings > accessibility > Trackpad options > Enable dragging

When this option was on, I could double tap with my finger, drag and release to draw a with artrage. This resulted in the continued painting after finger release. With this option off, I physically click and hold the touchpad and drag with my finger to paint. When I release the click painting stops immediately without any continued painting. So, the way OS X implements the Enable dragging accessibility option appears to be the issue.

I did find another bug. I don't know if it is artrage or OS X. When artrage is open and a canvas is displayed, switching color profiles results in a repaint only where the cursor is. The entire artrage application does not repaint to reflect the new color profile. Interestingly, during this bug, you can see exactly how the mouse is tracking by observing when the redisplay of window widgets occurs.

Brian