ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Lakeside

Autumn Lakeside

Hello! I don't know if I've posted here, maybe I have? If so I've been absent but not now

To briefly introduce myself: I've used up the time on the demo for ArtRage 3 Studio Pro, and I am totally hooked. Having been a artist since being a baby (at least that's what I've been told) - I love to paint. I'm first a traditional artist, working with pencils and pen & ink, acrylic, oils, oil pastels, watercolor, and color pencils. But professionally I am a digital artist, but since I have come from a traditional background first, I really bring that into my digital works.

I have been a Photoshop user for over 20 years, so most of my painting has come from that excellent tool. However it has it's limits. I loved how CS5 had introduced the mixer brush, though it doesn't have a mixer pad. I have used other digital artist' training and tools such as John Derry.

But still, the realism of the paint on canvas still wasn't there for Photoshop. At least not yet. I'll never give up that tool, because it's a very important tool in my tool set.

But now, ArtRage is now foremost on my tool belt. And THANK YOU for this forum!! I've already collected excellent tools and presets, especially from user, JUZ. Thank you!

I'm now working on my first "official" painting in ArtRage. I love landscapes (as well as aviation art), and this is one I am starting.

I love the traditional feel of ArtRage. The color mixing, and lay-down of color on the canvas. My methods will certainly evolve as I learn ArtRage more. Right now, my method is sort of raw because I'm still learning the tools in this excellent program.

As of right now, I am laying down some basic colors in oil and then using the palette knife to move and mix the paint to where I want it. I'm using the palette knife setting "Hard Out Smudge." I want there to be a slight impasto finish to my pieces as well as a slight impressionist look.

I hope you all enjoy, and I look forward to be a part of this ArtRage community.

~Dale
    StratoArt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	423.7 KB 
ID:	69773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	69774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip3.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	69775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	69776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip5.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	69777
    Last edited by StratoArt; 08-27-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Dale, a big welcome to this wonderful forum and great program, Really like your style and looking forward to more, also could you tell me where you got your color samples from

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Dale, a big welcome to this wonderful forum and great program, Really like your style and looking forward to more, also could you tell me where you got your color samples from
    Hi! Thank you! I got that right here on the forum. I was so excited about finding those. Looks like it was by user named "Trurl"

Edit: oh rats. It says I can't post links yet because I'm a new member.

If you do a search for the thread by user "Trurl" that says "Palette - Paint Brand Color Sample Sets"

there are a whole bunch of awesome real artist color palettes there - date is 01-10-2010

Need to move this to Works in Progress.

Sorry moderator, could you move this to the Work-In-Progress? Thanks!

very exciting work I love your sky and the background trees and colors.. I look forward to more posts and this finished work..

Welcome Dale you will find us a friendly bunch on this forum unlike many that exist on the web.
    I like where you are going with your first painting with Artrage, and it looks like you have caught the bug already.
    Geoff

Update - fall foliage

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    Welcome Dale you will find us a friendly bunch on this forum unlike many that exist on the web.
    I like where you are going with your first painting with Artrage, and it looks like you have caught the bug already.
    Geoff
    Thank you!

Here's a bit more work on the background.

I'm working on the leafy details of the background grove of autumn deciduous trees and the evergreen conifers.

I had covered the tree areas with a golden orange (a mixture Azo Yellow L, M, and D and with Azo Orange, and a smidgen of Azo red) - these are from the Rembrandt Oil palette that is found on this forum back in 2010 (search for Palette - Paint Brand Color Sample Sets)

After I have laid down the colors, I then go in with the the oil brush again, very small and then make small strokes to indicate leaf clumps. I want to keep it impressionist in style, so I'm not going to do intricate detail, only an indication.

The blue sky isn't quite done yet, I'm not really satisfied with the clouds, so I'll work on those after I get the Autumn foliage of the background trees completed.

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip6.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	69779

Welcome to the forums Dale and looks like you are addicted already. This painting it looking great and look forward to see the progress
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Welcome Dale. Very nice job on this. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Update on painting

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Another update. I needed to redo the clouds and sky, just wasn't working out for me. Here I am working on some cumulonimbus building up. I took a lot of photos of some clouds building up around us here in SoCal. We really don't get clouds much less thunderheads, so it was really nice to snap a whole bunch for reference. So based on some of my reference photos, here's the start of my new sky and clouds. A little deeper in the blues and a little bit more depth in the clouds. This is still a long way to go. I'm also including an overall image of my canvas - a lot more to go!

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip8.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	69807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn_lakeside-wip8a.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	69808