ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Painting big

Painting big

Hei from Finland. I'm writing here mostly as a "manager" for my brother, who started migrating from analogue art to computer aided at the end of last year. He bought an 27" iMac (Quad i5, 8 gigs of RAM) and a L size Wacom Intuos4. I know he would have advanced a lot faster if he had gotten some tips from experienced digital painters, but since he was completely hopeless regarding computers, learning the hard way may well have been for the good. He now almost understands what resolution means...

He's closing in on what he's capable off with acrylic paint, but has plenty to do to reach his skills with watercolors. Soon I will hunt for someone to give him tool tips.

He likes ArtRage, which is the only painting app he has used. We have considered PhotoShop, but it lacks plenty regarding painting. However, when painting big, ArtRage looses big.

He paints a quite a lot for museums and they like murals. But seldom can afford real ones as they take a LOT of time to paint and require the artist to be present. Therefore it would be beneficial for both parties if my brother could paint them on his Mac and then the work was printed. But that's just impossible with ArtRage, which can't even create a canvas bigger than 150 megapixels. On my MacPro with Dual Quad Xeons and 12 gigs of RAM the maximum is around 165 MP. But in Photoshop we can go way bigger, 40 000 x 15 000 (600 MP) is no problem. I'm no tech guy, either, so I wonder what the reason for this difference is.

A website and a Facebook page for my brothers work is coming up this fall, I can promise you'll like what you'll see.

Thanks,

Johan

Hi there,

ArtRage deals with paint thickness, reflectivity, wetness and so on in order to simulate real media, rather than just handling color like many other applications. This additional information requires more resources so you won't be able to create paintings as large as in some other applications like Photoshop.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave. Would be great, for us, if ArtRage had modes, like a simplified one that doesn't render those attributes. Which would be close to painting with acrylics.

Here's a swan my brother recently painted. It's a "from scratch" digital re-do of an acrylic original. The digital original is 10x in size (around 6200 x 4400 px). I've just printed the first trial run with our SP4900 on Hot Press Natural at 24x17 cm and it looks very good.

Regards,

Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You also might want to look into programs like Resizer, which are used to professionally upscale images without pixelating them. You should be able to turn something like what you've painted into a much larger image. For 100$, it might be worth investigating, considering the type of commercial work you're suggesting.

Additionally, I've been doing a YouTube video tutorial series on painting with Artrage Watercolors. It might be of some use. You can view the links in the linked to thread here at the forums. We also have a Watercolor WIPs thread, where we discuss some of the techniques. Considering the skill your brother is showing in the image you've posted (it's quite nice), it would be wonderful to see what sort of work you're doing with watercolors. You can share with us there if you want! I'd love to see what he's doing.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Beautiful painting, thanks for posting it!

We're continuing to optimise the system and there are some ideas we've had for how we can cut down on memory usage for layers in a future update.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Your brother could try Painter which art rage reminds me of. The price is around $600 us dollars though I think.

Ruby