ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Video Series- How to Paint With Watercolors in Artrage

YouTube Video Series- How to Paint With Watercolors in Artrage

I've been doing a series of video tutorials on YouTube covering how I paint with watercolors in Artrage, in particular with a natural media focus. Right now, I've got 6+ videos up, each about 10 minutes long on average. They cover things like Layer Textures, using Layers for Glazing, making Masks, doing Wet into Wet techniques, how to achieve Dry Brush results, etc. I've been haphazardly posting links in my Watercolor WIPs thread, but it was suggested I ought to house all the links in a single thread, where others might find them more easily.

So... that's what this is. As I produce more videos, I'll continue to update this first post in the thread. Of course, if you've got questions or thoughts or responses, please feel free to reply! I'll reply too, and just keep this first post available for additional new info on the video series.

#1- Texture Overlays-
    Here I go into the first basic technique I always use. Importing a texture, I apply it to my painting BEFORE I start painting. This lets me experience those ambient inner textures that make watercolors texturally rich as I paint, rather than as a post-processing effect.

#2- Dry Brush and Wet on Wet Techniques-
    This one is about using Layer Textures and various Brush Settings to get good dry brush effects, and about Locking Transparency and painting on the same layer to get wet into wet results.

#3- Layers-
    I go over how I use layers and blend modes in Artrage to recreate the natural media effect of drying my translucent applications of color one wash at a time. This can give some nice results that really start to look like natural media watercolors.

#4- Brush Settings-
    This one is all about the Watercolor brush settings. I go over what each of them does, how I set them, and which ones I basically leave alone. Thinner and Loading settings are covered in depth, because I use them alot, but there are some other effects that use the other settings, and they're covered as well.

#5-
    Blenders-
    Here I talk about the Palette Knife, and how I use it with the watercolors. We go into various effects I get and which Presets I commonly use to get them. There's some real nice watery, bleeding results you can get with the Palette Knife, so it's can really be critical for certain types of watercolors.

#5b- Preset Groups-
    This is a supplementary video that covers how to make your own custom Preset groups. I apply it to the Palette Knife, but it can be done for any tool with Presets. This can be nice if you sometimes paint in different styles. There are lots of Presets, but only a few relate to watercolor work. This can help you reduce the clutter.

#6- Layers Pt 2: Layer Masks and Glazing-
    This is the second video on Layers and how I use them. It covers how I replicate the making of Layer Masks in Artrage (thank you Someonesane!) and how I then use them to allow me to glaze my tones and colors down. Glazing and the usage of Masks, as I describe it, can be very useful for complicated images that have lots of detail.

#7- Sticker Sprays-
    I go into which Sticker Sprays I use a lot and what effects I get with them specifically, as well as how I generally approach the usage of Stickers Sprays in my paintings. I also discuss how I make specialized Presets and discuss general organization of my Sticker Sprays to improve my work flow.

Upcoming-- !! Oh lala!
    #0- Basic Setup
    #8- Layers pt 3: Blend Modes
    #9- More than one Layer Texture

as well as, potentially, some supplementary videos that flesh out some missing details from certain subjects (like a #1b, with some additional info on Texture Overlays, for example, or a #5c on Palette Knife settings, or a #7b on Sticker Spray settings, etc. We'll see.)

Artrage Pen-Only Demo Video-
    Additionally, I've made a video going over the custom toolbar I use while working in Artrage-- the Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar. You'll see it here and there in my videos. This is an unofficial Artrage "add-on" that I've been developing with someone else. It allows you to more completely use Artrage with just your pen (no keyboard, or almost none at all), and takes fuller advantage of the Clear Canvas mode. I'm planning on sharing it soon. We're just ironing out the last few wrinkles.
    Last edited by Steve B; 08-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Steve B, I've seen all of your video tuts so far and I gotta say, they are very well made!
    you've covered such a broad spectrum of ArtRageous tips and tricks - it's worth watching everything, and not just for folks who want to use watercolours, but for everyone new to ArtRage who wants to learn about the many possibilities this software is giving us!

Name:  icon14.png
Views: 11852
Size:  589 Bytes thank you! Name:  icon14.png
Views: 11852
Size:  589 Bytes
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Steve B...wow you have done a very fine job on these. I really like the text hints/tips that echo what you are saying.. it really helps drive home the point.. these should be required viewing for all AR users.

Hey, thanks man! I've worked pretty hard to get 'em to be right. I'm one of those "No reason to do if you're not going to do it right" kind of guys, so that's nice to hear coming from you.

BTW, check it out-- they put the tutorials up on the "official" Artrage Tutorials thread. Sweet! I asked them and they were game. It's fun to see it there.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    Try out the free

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Got a new one up. This one is on Sticker Sprays and how I use them and alter them. Details are in the updated first post.
    Try out the free

Textures?

Hi Steve, your video series is just what I was looking for as a newbie!! I've only watched the first couple of videos and already have learned so much. I'm going to bookmark them so I can refer back to them again and also, I'd like to write a post about them on my blog prettyhaus.com which is for interior design students (if that's okay with you - I'll include a link to your blog of course). But, I'm getting ahead of myself, you've got some fantastic watercolor textures and I was wondering if you would post them or if you've already done that, point me to the link. Once again, thank you so much for this excellent series - its really generous! Best, Anne

Hi Anne,
    I'm so glad the series is helpful for you! I spent a lot of time working on them, and it's nice to hear back from others when it's made a difference.

Re: the watercolor textures I have in the folder you see in the videos-- I have to admit that I got them by taking the Artrage class at the online Digital Art Academy, and so feel like I shouldn't be giving them away for free, as Karen Bonaker had to work at making them and is sort of "selling them". The DAA is a great space to learn about Artrage Watercolors, and currently they have a self-paced 4 part class that they offer in Artrage for 40$. It has lots of videos, demos, pdfs, etc, and Karen is very helpful in their forums. If you sign up, you'll get all the textures I use. Of course, one could paint them and scan them, but sometimes 40$ is worth it.

Re: being written up on your blog. That sounds great! I would love to get a notice when you do so, and I'll post it on my blog and on Facebook, etc. That's super fun, and I'd like to be of help if I can.

If you've got questions about the videos, or processes, etc. please feel free to post in my Watercolor WIPs thread. That's a good repository of info on the subject, and I like to direct people there if they have extra questions, that way our conversation can be there for other people in the future. The link is below, in my signature.

I hope that's all helpful. Sorry I can't provide a more free/useful answer on the textures, but I feel like I should be good to Karen. She was a good teacher.
    Try out the free

Good work Steve! Keep it coming....

I highly recommend these videos. They are well planned, thorough, and target areas of watercolor simulation that are widely varied and well spotted. My only critique of the videos at all has to do with the audio having an occasional to frequent line hum that gets distracting. Something to polish in future efforts perhaps. Thanks again Steve B for such great lessons.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I watched the first three of these...and they are outstanding... I will be watching the rest of this series and highly recommend them....

Many thanks for these fine tutorials....