ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Wacom digitizer)

Lightbulb Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Wacom digitizer)

This tablet is now officially on sale an while its had mixed reviews (mostly as the screen is not as high quality as the latest ipad) I think the more important thing to note, pun intended, is the use of the pressure sensitive pen.

review:http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/s...e-10-1-review/

quote... So what's really changed since we last saw Note 10.1 in March? For starters, the S-Pen's sensitivity level has been increased to an impressive 1,024 degrees of pressure. You won't have much need for such nuanced touch support with general use, but fire up PS Touch or S Note and you'll begin to appreciate the precision. The same goes for the tablet's palm rejection -- the ability for the slate to detect stylus input while your hand rests on the screen. This, too, has been refined since we took that earlier build for a spoin....

thoughts?

hi ninja,

... thanks for the post ... I've been following developments along with you, have seen/read reviews of Note 10.1, recently got an Adonit Jot Pressure Sensitive pen for the iPad, am discovering what everyone knew all along, the iPad was not built around a stylus, so I am really conflicted about getting the Note 10.1, it's like each new device/interface/supporting software brings only partial solutions, you really need a lot of patience these days, and a thick wallet, in the search for the right combination ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

There's been a really interesting and substantial conversation about this device over at the Tablet Pc Review, here. Scroll to page 4 and 5 to get to the stuff where users really talk about using the device, after having bought it. It sounds like a good device for certain applications, but that the art apps available on Android, for use with the pen, are really still in their infancy. One called Layer Paint was found though, that people were particularly impressed with.

The general consensus though was that, despite the reports, it has nothing like 1024 reports one can find in the Cintiq 12x. More like 256 or so, like you find in your normal tablet pc-- not that that's too shabby, mind you. I've got my x200t, and I love using it.

I would say, in general, to wait for Christmas to come if you can. With Windows 8 coming out, there going to be lots and lots and LOTS of slates coming onto the market this Fall and Winter. A lot of them will be touch only, like the iPad, and only run Windows RT (essentially, a pared down special new version of Windows that runs on phone-like devices like the iPad), but some will have Wacom pens, powerful processors, and will run full-fledged Windows (and therefore full fledged Artrage, amongst other things).

I don't know what your budget is, but this very cool Note 10.1 is still 500$. I bet by the winter, you'll be able to find other Windows 8 slates that will also have a Wacom pen and full Windows for 1000-1200$. It's more, no doubt, but for me... once I personally hit something in the 500$ range, it's already out of my normal budget. That's expensive to me, and when I decide to save up if need be to get the better advice. 500$ is just not disposable to me! ;P

Still, I don't want to poo-poo the new Samsung 10.1 Note. It's a cool thing-- light weight, powerful enough for Android, great battery life, nice screen, Wacom. It's a good thing!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I actually managed to have a quick play around with the Note 10.1 today. The display model I played with
    had the pen removed (probably to stop it being stolen) but even without that, and smooth as the touch screen was (finger touch) I couldn't help feeling that it was slightly cheap feeling in the hand. I'm not a big ipad fan whatsoever but even I'll admit that they feel more solid to hold. Basically it didn't feel as though it was worth the £399 (500 odd$) and thats just for the 16gb model. It felt more like a toy than a solid machine I could carry around everywhere with me.

And on top of that as others have mentioned, theres not really any decent art soft for android such as ArtRage. Especially ones that make use of pen pressure sensitivity.

I had already planned to get hold of one of the Windows 8 tablets coming out in October. I just thought the Note 10.1 would keep me going until then. Seems not. Will just have to remain patient for now.

I don't post here too much, but I thought I would add my opinion on the Note 10.1. I purchased it on Aug 16 and have been using it constantly since I got it.

I use Artrage mostly on my PC because I've always found the iPad version too slow. I will say, I haven't touched my retina iPad since I got the Note 10.1 (well, that's not exactly true because I touch it when I hand it to my daughter to play Angry Birds). I'm utterly impressed with the Note 10.1.

I don't think it feels cheap like others have mentioned, but it doesn't feel as "solid" because it doesn't have a metal back. I think it feels much more like the iPad 2, which I find much more comfortable than the retina iPad (that thing feels like a tank).

As @Steve mentioned, there is a good thread over on the TabletPC Review forum that has information about the Note 10.1. I think it's going to be a fabulous sketching tool. I believe it's going to accomplish everything I wished the iPad would be. I haven't done a ton of sketching on it yet, but what I have done has been positive. I've mostly used Sketchbook Pro, S Note, and LayerPaint. All are different and pretty good. You have to have the right expectations with a device like this. I'm not expecting that it's going to run full fledged PC applications when I use it. My expectation of the device is I'll use it for the sketching process. If I want, I could see following through the rendering process as well, but obviously at a lower resolution because, as Steve said, the Android software is in it's "toddler to elementary" phase, but I think it's getting better all the time.

I think it's a different kind of device and the reviews from The Verge and Engadget, well, they clearly don't "get it". For me, this is what I wish the iPad was. I don't want a TabletPC right now, I just want a highly portable sketching device with a great battery. Want to use it for a 3 hour life drawing class? You can do that and still have 7 hours of battery life left

I have this device and for me personally it's worth the $500 even with the Windows 8 tablets just around the corner. I'm not convinced the Windows 8 tablets are going to give a similar battery life. We'll see. Maybe it's a stepping stone device, I'm not sure. If it is, I'm ok with that too. Right now, It's completely useable. If I keep it for 4 months and then sell it for $400, that would seem like a WIN to me. A small rental fee for 4 months of work. Or I might find that it's better than the things coming out. I don't know. I just rather get something that works right now. This tablet works so far. It's different. It's something I would have expected Apple to make, not Samsung.

I'm happy to answer any questions you folks have. I hope to get much more sketching done on it soon so I might have more to share. The next 5 days are going to be insane for me, but I'll still be around.

Cheers!

As I mentioned in the tablet PC thread, I got to play around with the Note 10.1 yesterday. The model I was using had the pen and the pen had the rubber tip to help with drawing. I had my Galaxy Note phone with me as well and was able to make a couple of quick comparisons; the 10.1's version of S note has a couple of extras that the smaller version does not include, there is a watercolor brush for instance. The S-pen is of course bigger as well and is easier to grip, although the button is in a slight recess which is not easy to manipulate. The device was fast and responsive, I tried to see if I could get it to download Sketchbook mobile Express just to see how that would run, but it was not set up for downloading. I would love to see how the top art programs for Android; Sketchbook, Infinate Painter/Design, Layer Paint, or even the note taking apps like Papyrus, Quill, Omni Note, Jotter or Freenote would work.
    For now I am content to stick with the original Note, I'll be testing out Layer Paint to see how good it realy is. I personally prefer a smaller setup, the Slate 500 was a good size for me. It had problems that eventually compounded themselves against its continued use. The Note is great though.

Note to AR developers: well, then, should I stay with the iPad, which right now is your platform of choice, and mine, in the hope that you will roll out more robust versions maximizing speed, and retrofit for the iPhone 5 or a mini-iPad, or should I abandon, as some posters seem to be suggesting ...
    Artrage Gallery

No thoughts from the dev team? How about a multiple choice:

a. don't worry, we are committed to your choice of hardware and are working to maximize AR on it
    b. you should worry, AR Pro functionality ain't coming to the iPad anytime soon
    c. you should be very worried about android
    d. totally up to our customers to make the right hardware choices!

or

e. we are ignoring you, deleting all of your annoying posts and banning you as a user
    Artrage Gallery

Pete, don't poke the Rage team. Dave doesn't mind, but Tycho will hide in your computer and he bites. Bu hau.

haha, thanks docsmith ... I bought all three products, I participate in the forums, I recommend ArtRage to folks when they see me painting with it at museums, I believe in the product, I've invested time and energy learning it, discussing it with others, but my experience on the iPhone and iPad isn't all that it could be, and may never be better, don't I have a right to ask? ...
    Artrage Gallery