ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Using fill tool

Question: Using fill tool

I'm new to the forum and very new to digital art. As I am experimenting and learning ArtRage, I have a few questions if anyone can help me:
    1. When using the fill tool, is there a way to reduce the opacity of the fill. When I open the settings options I have only the option of turning on or off the antialias edge and the single layer or changing the percentage of spread. I'm sure this is simple but I'm missing it somewhere. Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Second, I'm not clear on how to do a straight/ruler line. I can open the ruler from the stencil options but can't figure out how to use it.

Thanks for your help and patience with an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Greetings to you, "Old Dog", from "Slow Learner":

Attachment 69561
    Rats. I don't know how to make this screenshot bigger. Maybe it's already bigger and I won't see until I post it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fill, Reduced Opacity..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	69568

Anyway: For Fill Tool, above the other stuff about anti-alias and single-layer and blend-mode, there are two "half-donuts". One controls opacity, and the other controls how aggressively the color will spread.

Here I've made two layers. The bottom layer I used the Fill Tool at about 50% opacity. The tool is set at only 8% spread, but since there's nothing to stop it, the color races to fill the whole page. On the upper layer I used the Ink Pen to draw a shape, then used the fill tool to spread yellow inside the shape. The 51% opacity allows some green to show through the yellow. Since the Fill Spread is set at only 8%, the color flooding stops at the ink line.

Okay, well it stops at the ink line "sort of". The jaggedy edges of a color fill keep it from meeting the line with a perfect edge. "Anti-alias" helps reduce the jaggedy edge, but it's not perfect with the Fill Tool-- I think I read a suggestion elsewhere on this site about letting both the line and fill remain "aliased" with the idea that the jaggedy edges of the Line and the Fill will mesh.

Some of this you already know, but I can't explain a part of something without explaining the whole. I think you only wanted to know that the Opacity half-donut is to the left of the Spread half-donut if you have the same version of ArtRage that I have.

Another choice is to accept a 100% Opacity Fill, but have the fill on its own layer and reduce the opacity of the layer?

Wow! I just used "Preview Post" and learned that indeed, the screen shot is WAY bigger in the actual post than it shows while I'm writing this...

I'll have to explain "Rulers, and how I finally came to use them" in another chapter.

Sue Ellen
    Last edited by sueellen; 08-17-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Show Screenshot.

Welcome!
    The rulers are not quite like real world ones in AR in that you actually draw on/inside the ruler and whichever edge the cursor is closest to, that's where the line you want to make will be constrained to.
    Grab the coloured tabs at the ends of the ruler to turn it around the pivot point and change its length.
    The pivot point when turning a ruler is the drawing pin you see stuck in it. You can grab the end of the pin to move it to a different position for the pivot point.
    Hope this helps.

Hi Lawrence,

You can change the opacity of the fill before applying it by opening the settings panel, then moving the 'opacity' dial to the left.

You can also hold downt he ctrl key and draw a line to make a straight line. With the ruler, you can right click and drag it around to position it. You can grab the ends of the ruler by left clicking and holding on it then moving your mouse / stylus. You can draw along it to make a straight line ( drawing slightly on the actual ruler is easiest ) I hope this helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sueellen - To fill a shape as much as possible, turn off fill antialiasing, and move the spread value in the fill tool settings to as high value as possible. You'll know if you're too high if the fill goes outside the boundaries of the shape. Antialiasing is used by default in many tools and also fill in ArtRage. It softens the edge of strokes, but it does mean that the edges of strokes and fill will have a rim of differently coloured pixels which the fill tool will hit and then stop at. Turning off antialiasing can avoid this but you will see a more harsh edge as a result. This is a limitation of how flood fills work with antialiased strokes in general.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    Greetings to you, "Old Dog", from "Slow Learner":

Attachment 69561
    Rats. I don't know how to make this screenshot bigger. Maybe it's already bigger and I won't see until I post it.

Name:	Fill, Reduced Opacity..jpg 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	69568

Anyway: For Fill Tool, above the other stuff about anti-alias and single-layer and blend-mode, there are two "half-donuts". One controls opacity, and the other controls how aggressively the color will spread.

Here I've made two layers. The bottom layer I used the Fill Tool at about 50% opacity. The tool is set at only 8% spread, but since there's nothing to stop it, the color races to fill the whole page. On the upper layer I used the Ink Pen to draw a shape, then used the fill tool to spread yellow inside the shape. The 51% opacity allows some green to show through the yellow. Since the Fill Spread is set at only 8%, the color flooding stops at the ink line.

Okay, well it stops at the ink line "sort of". The jaggedy edges of a color fill keep it from meeting the line with a perfect edge. "Anti-alias" helps reduce the jaggedy edge, but it's not perfect with the Fill Tool-- I think I read a suggestion elsewhere on this site about letting both the line and fill remain "aliased" with the idea that the jaggedy edges of the Line and the Fill will mesh.

Some of this you already know, but I can't explain a part of something without explaining the whole. I think you only wanted to know that the Opacity half-donut is to the left of the Spread half-donut if you have the same version of ArtRage that I have.

Another choice is to accept a 100% Opacity Fill, but have the fill on its own layer and reduce the opacity of the layer?

Wow! I just used "Preview Post" and learned that indeed, the screen shot is WAY bigger in the actual post than it shows while I'm writing this...

I'll have to explain "Rulers, and how I finally came to use them" in another chapter.

Sue Ellen
    Thank you so much Sue Ellen. Your info was very helpful. My only problem is that the 'half-donut' Opacity dial doesn't exist in my settings box. When I open it there is only one- the "Spread" setting. Do you know if there is a way to 'turn-on' the opacity dial or do I have a defective bit of software? Again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Lawrence,

You can change the opacity of the fill before applying it by opening the settings panel, then moving the 'opacity' dial to the left.

You can also hold downt he ctrl key and draw a line to make a straight line. With the ruler, you can right click and drag it around to position it. You can grab the ends of the ruler by left clicking and holding on it then moving your mouse / stylus. You can draw along it to make a straight line ( drawing slightly on the actual ruler is easiest ) I hope this helps!
    Dave,
    Thanks for the information, esp. the ctrl key line technique- very helpful. As I told SueEllen, though, I don't seem to have an "Opacity" dial on my fill tool settings panel, only a "Spread" dial. Is there anything that can bring that dial up?

Again, thanks.

Opacity control is part of the advanced settings in Studio Pro so if you're using ArtRage Studio it won't be available. You could apply the fill on its own Layer and use the Layer's opacity control to adjust the overall opacity after the fill however.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I forgot to mention from my earlier (long!) post how I learned to reduce the opacity of color without reducing the opacity of outline-- when the Spread for the Fill Tool is at a very low setting, you can actually fill in color on a layer separate from the outline. Turn off "Single Layer" in the Fill Tools setting, then create a layer above the outline for color fill.

Name:	Dala 5 Coloring.jpg 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	69625
    In the Layers Pod, you can see that the upper layer was created with opaque color. I then reduced the opacity of the entire layer.

(On this little picture I did not worry about the status of anti-alias. I will create separate sticker sprays for the two layers: I'll "spray" the color sticker first, then spray the outline sticker sloppily over it to achieve a sort of Sunday-Funnies-Misprint Look for children's fabric.)

Or for nice fat lines like you have, just create a layer below the black, block in with color 'ink pen', then erase cleanly around your black lines. More colored layers can be created in the same method, and edited to the opacity you want.