ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Desert field

Desert field

As always...comments and critique are welcomed

Name:  desert field road800.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  43.9 KB
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

It is so spacious!

I like the colors and great depth!

Beautiful colors

This painting makes me pause and look at it to figure out what is going on. Yes, I can see mountains in that distance, then closer foothills and the strip of irrigated land and then finally the fall off of drainage to the sea. Cool palette and composition.
    Last edited by Tanzenkran; 08-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Comment would be to perhaps add some interest. When one has a barren place, and there's not a lot of color through vegetation or time of day (like sunset) or something happening with a figure or what have you, you always have light and shadow to create interest. Right now it's sort of un-articulated. I get the idea you're after, (I think). And that's legitimate. Barren, dry, a large expanse that people once had to traverse without machines, now with a highway. And stay on the road. If that is in fact what you're driving at, you could still punch your lights and darks harder strategically. It would make it seem harsher.

If you're doing something like a first person view of someone, bleary eyed and dried out, nearly dead from dragging themselves through the desert on foot, and coming upon a sparsely driven road, leading to the question of timely rescue or not. . . then you are very close as you have done it. The challenge is to say that in a visually interesting way if you want it to be something that people would want to look at for any length of time.

And if you were looking for a really easy landscape that is part of your world, you have one here. However, subtleties do count for a lot, as does contrast. I can see you have included stuff. Just punching it up a bit could serve you. Also you could 'invent' colors to add. Which colors and how saturated and dark, that's a matter of experience. And a quick shorthand for getting experience is to look at how other artists have handled similar scenarios. Select the ones that do it for you and try some of the chops.

Keep going! It ain't no mirage. You can really make this a pic work for you if you extend your visual vocabulary even just a little. I do like the info you did include. One thought, darks pull the foreground to us.

And, if you're going for a sort of graphic stylization, think shapes and design.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks folks

What i was aiming for..i didnt really have anything in mind, just a picture of some of the places I'd driven through, mostly the Dakotas, wyoming, montana, nevada etc..where theres miles and miles of seemingly nothing on one side of the road...and irrigated farmland on the other lol. What i dont understan d is why my pics look kind of fuzzy when i post them.

Moosie
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

I've seen those places you describe. As to the fuzziness of the posted pics, not sure. People have complained about that since the early days of the forums. Not sure why. Might want to ask that question in one of the other Forum sections where they ask for technical advice. I would make a new thread in that area so this question would get noticed by someone who has been down that same road in the past. Could have something to do with the size your original painting is. But I don't know.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you sir
    Author Unknown