ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ArtRage for Android?

Gallery
    View images

Lightbulb ArtRage for Android?

I've been looking at the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that uses a wacom digitizer and pen (w/1024 levels of pressure sensitivity) that's just been released a couple days ago.

Does the developer plan on making a version for android to take use of these features?

I have AR on both my iPad and PC, but I would love to have a portable pressure sensitive version because frankly, trying to draw with a single pressure capacitive pen on the iPad is just horrid.
    Last edited by Ursadorable; 08-17-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    We're looking in to the possibility of an Android build but at the moment there's nothing specific I can say regarding when it might be possible. Sorry I couldn't give any more information!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    As always, I would add my +1 for Android support. There isn't really an app like Artrage for Android. I would purchase it the day it came out. I'd also be happy to beta test if you decide to implement. I have the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with full wacom support. Cheers!

Gallery
    View images

Another +1 for Android ArtRage

I was introduced to ArtRage on the Asus EP121 with its Wacom pen. I bought the iPad version after I got my iPad 3.

My new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/its S Pen arrives from Amazon in a few days and ArtRage for Android with support for the S Pen would be one of the first Apps I'd put on it if was only available.

Here's hoping we see ArtRage for Android ASAP.

Aloha.. Al

Gallery
    View images

More on Samsung Note 10.1

Hi,

I posted this on another thread, but actually this one looks more relevant .. apologies for duplication.

Just add my voice to the clamour for porting ArtRage to Android - I just got the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, which has a 1024 level pressure sensitive Wacom pen. Having been a long time user of ArtRage on Windows ... and recently been using it on an old HP tablet which I upgraded to Windows 8 Beta, I want to carry on using it, but the old PC is expiring, a new Win8 tablet with Wacom pen will be about GBP 800, and the Samsung is GBP 400 ... no contest, so looks like I'm using Sketchbook Pro and Infinity Painter, which are OK, but they do not have all that ArtRage can do by a long way. (Photoshop touch, which is bundled with the Galaxy Note, is useless for painting and sketching - that's not what it's designed for.)

I'm in the middle of a project using ArtRage and now I have to switch to Sketchbook ... not ideal ... I would REALLY like to get ArtRage on the Galaxy.

Just a thought, but if the business case for setting up an Android porting team is weak, have you considered crowd-funding the porting effort via Indiegogo or a similar site ? Pressure sensitive styluses on Android are going to become more common, I'm sure.
    Regards
    Martin

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We're looking in to the possibility of an Android build [...]
    The desire of your user base to have an Android version of your app has been apparent for some time now. That your response is and always has been that you are "looking into the possibility" only shows that you continue to underestimated this growing market. So much so that some of your users are now "looking into the possibility" of not using ArtRage.

I don't know how useful it is but, Samsung has made the S pen's SDK available to developers. It may not be useful for developing for Android though, only for developing for the S pen. I still hold out hope that Artrage will soon appear on Android. It is a superior creation platform to the iPad.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by jkiel View Post
    The desire of your user base to have an Android version of your app has been apparent for some time now. That your response is and always has been that you are "looking into the possibility" only shows that you continue to underestimated this growing market. So much so that some of your users are now "looking into the possibility" of not using ArtRage.
    We're a small development team and we're currently focused on improving our existing products, after which we may branch out to look at new platforms. Each new platform places more strain upon our resources however, which is why we're cautious about expanding on to devices with which we have no history.

We have previously looked at what it might take to port to Android and man, is it a significant shift from the base code we can run on Windows, OS X, and iOS, it would require a complete rewrite of our front end and a bunch of pretty significant rewriting in the back end of the product to get it running at all, let alone optimised and with an interface that works well for the platform. Rather than try to crowbar the app on to the platform we prefer to take the time to try and get it right, which is why we're currently focused on improving the experience for our existing users with our existing products.

Honestly, there's no personal insult or dissing of a platform going on here. It's baffling to me that we get such reactions to our position in this matter when all we're trying to do is avoid splitting our resources further and damaging our existing products as a result. Android users: We'd love to support you, it's just that right now we can't.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We have previously looked at what it might take to port to Android and man, is it a significant shift from the base code we can run on Windows, OS X, and iOS, it would require a complete rewrite of our front end and a bunch of pretty significant rewriting in the back end of the product to get it running at all
    I think you may be overlooking the use of Android NDK, etc. These are not "crowbar" hacks.

While I will not pretend that an Android port would be easy, it deserves a more thorough and recent look than you've given it.

Gallery
    View images
    We're familiar with the Android NDK and made extensive examination of it during our research, so we've already taken it and its limitations in to account. When I referred to 'crowbarring' stuff in I was referring to what we would have to do with our system if we were to rush a port, I'm not referring to the NDK or any other Android based system.

There's no point assuming that you know how much work we've put in to it and how much it would be worth comparatively. Let me just reiterate something here: I'm saying that if we do a version, we will do it properly. Sorry that can't be right now, but that's the way it is.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.