ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Waterfall tip

Waterfall tip

No biggie, but thought I'd post this just in case it might help someone.

I posted the original of this some time back, but never was really happy with the waterfall. Just didn't seem complete.
    Well, today I happened upon it, and decided to see what I could do. What I did, was to use the chalk tool at low setting pressure, wide settings. It did a pretty good job of giving me the "mist" effect I wanted to go along with what I already had.
    The first painting is the original, the second, the one I touched up today.

Hope somebody finds this useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Decision1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	69542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Decision2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	69543  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Beautiful mist! Beautiful painting. Thank you for the tip. I have two projects now that I can bring back out for more work. I had given up on them, but this gives me hope-- I will give the "meh" sections some of your Magical Misting Effect and see if I can't make the works "whole".

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    Beautiful mist! Beautiful painting. Thank you for the tip. I have two projects now that I can bring back out for more work. I had given up on them, but this gives me hope-- I will give the "meh" sections some of your Magical Misting Effect and see if I can't make the works "whole".

Great - Hope it works for you.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Wow, seriously. I have two beautiful photographs taken at the beach of the South China Sea, but my father hadn't cleaned the lens, so the mist rising from crashing waves has blobs of black on it. I've used various settings of the palette knife until I found one that took out the blobs without being so insistent on itself as to make the shift in texture as obvious as the blobs themselves. Still, the whole scene is kind of "meh". This Magical Misting chalk effect will allow me not only to repair the de-blobbed areas but to integrate the repair job with an overall renovation project. Too cool. Thanks, BarnBurner.

Wow, seriously. I have two beautiful photographs taken at the beach of the South China Sea, but my father hadn't cleaned the lens, so the mist rising from crashing waves has blobs of black on it. I've used various settings of the palette knife until I found one that took out the blobs without being so insistent on itself as to make the shift in texture as obvious as the blobs themselves. Still, the whole scene is kind of "meh". This Magical Misting chalk effect will allow me not only to repair the de-blobbed areas but to integrate the repair job with an overall renovation project. Too cool. Thanks, BarnBurner.
    Cool idea. Curious - what part of the South China Sea?
    I saw it from China Beach (S. Vietnam) in 1966.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I like the way the painting turned out...thanks for the tip Mike
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    Cool idea. Curious - what part of the South China Sea?
    I saw it from China Beach (S. Vietnam) in 1966.
    From near Nha Trang & Ba da Loc, 1968. Do you have any photos? I have some posted on Flickr with the user name "Charlotte, from Baltimore". I have posted them with only cursory repairs on a few, and none on most.

From near Nha Trang & Ba da Loc, 1968. Do you have any photos? I have some posted on Flickr with the user name "Charlotte, from Baltimore". I have posted them with only cursory repairs on a few, and none on most.
    I wish I did. When I went to Nam, taking pictures was not much on my mind.
    I have a couple of pictures that some buddies took in camp, but nothing at China Beach. Of course, when I was there, the R&R center was nothing more than the beach, and some locals selling Tiger Beer. The hospital was at the top of the hill, but I didn't want to go anywhere near there - not even to visit.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

The second one definitely feels more like cascading water. Terrific tip!