ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dune ...

Dune ...

... at Cape Cod ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 08-11-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Stunning work
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

... adding original iPhone version with wider view ...
    Artrage Gallery

like the wider view.

cp...I like the counterpoint between the dense grasses and sedges of the dune and the pale sky... in this work I do like the wider view..it give a better feeling of the openness of the subject.. open dunes along a seashore..

... and the fullest view on the iPhone before reworking ...
    Artrage Gallery

good, better, best

the best view yet.. I like the bit of sky blue at the top makes the white seem like a fog rolling in over the dunes...

coops and gary, thanks ... I have a moment between connections to say something about the evolution of these three views, which took roughly twelve hours to paint over several days due to technical barriers, and revisions in what I thought the painting wanted to express ...

... my recent works have been started and often finished mainly on the iPhone, as I continue to be disappointed by the disparity between the new iPad's retina display and the desktop monitor, and haven't yet found a way to paint and post seamlessly ... In this painting, on the iPad the reds in the shrubs fairly scream out, but the over-saturated look disappears on the desktop, where the opposite problem arises, they look too dull ... As a result, after adjustments I have no idea what most people are seeing ... The majority of folks posting don't mention issues with creation and display, so this must be inherent in what I'm trying to do ...

... as an aside, for the above reason, right now I'm not encouraged to do my Chinese spirit stones or related paintings and drawings in the style of Chinese inks on the iPad, where delicacy of brushstroke and density of pigment are my chief concern ...

... as for the "Dune" itself, the backstory is that recently something brought to mind days spent on Cape Cod many years ago, and I set about trying to recapture the look and feel of the dunes -- memories, mostly colorless, formed the composition, and fantasy supplied the colors you see ...

... the progression was from composition to color, and the initial idea -- to have the sky dwarf the shrubs -- can be seen in the last image I posted -- the one gary called "best" -- thank you gary... but that image and its variations seemed to be based in a kind of stark realism, and therefore looked wrong, since the painting wanted to express a memory ... in the middle image, I applied a filter of rose madder brown over the cerulean blue-grays to tone down the harsh reds I was seeing on the iPad ... this took countless iterations, and in the end I felt the whole image was far too warm in temperature, at least as it appeared on the desktop ...

... finally -- and this is why the painting is called "Dune" and not "Dunes" -- as I mulled over what it was I actually was trying to paint, I realized it was a special moment when my son, who couldn't have been more than fifteen months, when we arrived at the dunes, pointed and repeated a word he'd heard earlier in the day -- "Dune" -- or something close enough to give his parents joy -- and that is why the first posted image is the largest, and to my eye the warmest ...
    Artrage Gallery

You nailed it chinapete, soooooooooo good and glad to see the views great work