ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Souvenir ...

Souvenir ...

... the word will forever be linked to the series of paintings Corot did in the 1860s and '70s, when he discovered a peculiar pale silvery light that no-one else had painted ... the small scale of this painting shows it was done entirely on the iPhone, in a single layer, pegged to the size of the iPhone screen ... the somewhat garish light is a play on early photography, Corot was intensely interested in the new technology, and his souvenirs probably carry over what he was seeing in photographs he was taking ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 08-09-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    xiěyì, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

fascinating story about Corot

I must say I really like the palette of reduced colors you use.. the make the bit of color used that much more important this has that quality of a early photograph looking at one section of it.. amazing what AR and an artistic hand can accomplish on such a small working surface

p.s. I went to Corots Wikipedia listing , which is quite interesting reading, and saw this quoteable section:

In the 1860s, Corot became interested in photography, taking photos himself and becoming acquainted with many early photographers, which had the effect of suppressing his painting palette even more in sympathy with the monochromic tones of photographs. This had the result of making his paintings even less dramatic but somewhat more poetic, a result which caused some critics to cite a monotony in his later output. Théophile Thoré wrote that Corot "has only a single octave, extremely limited and in a minor key; a musician would say. He knows scarcely more than a single time of day, the morning, and a single color, pale grey."[48] Corot responded:
    "What there is to see in painting, or rather what I am looking for, is the form, the whole, the value of the tones…That is why for me the color comes after, because I love more than anything else the overall effect, the harmony of the tones, while color gives you a kind of shock that I don’t like. Perhaps it is the excess of this principal that makes people say I have leaden tones."[42]
    In his aversion to shocking color, Corot sharply diverged from the up-and-coming Impressionists, who embraced experimentation with vivid hues.
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 08-09-2012 at 03:24 AM.

gary ... thank goodness for wiki ... now maybe I will no longer have to lug around the 20-pound catalog of Corot's works published by the Met in NY in 1997... from that catalog, you learn that Corot's mother was a seamstress and hat maker, and Corot grew up around the harmonic colors and patterns, and textures, of cloth ... and that "Corot ... was the most photographed artist of the nineteenth century" ... Actually, I'll never give up the catalog, I much prefer looking at reproductions on paper to viewing them online ... For scrap, I usually refer to very low-quality, low gloss art books, which allow me greater latitude in interpreting texture, and in substituting my own coloring for the original, whatever that may have looked like ...
    xiěyì, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I can just imagine the goings on-on this beautiful pond CPete. This is what it looks like to me....a beautiful pond.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 08-10-2012 at 03:13 AM.