ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What's my current canvas setting?

What's my current canvas setting?

Hi,
    I have an existing painting from a few months ago. I really like the canvas texture and layer textures I've got going. How do I find out what they are? If I click on View> Canvas Settings, is there something that's highlighted that would show me what I used? It would be very nice to know so I could duplicate it.

Steve
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

The texture data / canvas data doesn't necessarily refer to data on disk ( as layer texture data is stored in the ptg file itself ), so isn't highlighted when you look in settings but what you could do is open the painting, open the canvas settings panel, then add a new preset for the current settings and use that in your new document. You can do the same with the edit layer texture panel to create a preset from the texture of the current layer for use in other documents.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Not a bad start. Hmmmm.... is there a way to then export the existing "phantom" settings, so that I could then save and possibly share them?
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

You can do that via the canvas preset files ( .cpr files ). Basically if you save a preset of your current settings, you can locate that preset ( Tools -> User Content -> Show user canvas presets. The file should be here or in a subfolder if you created a category ) and anyone else can use it to get the same grain / texture settings. I hope this helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

That's pretty cool Dave, i didn't know you could do that for layer textures.

Veering slightly off-topic here. If I open an existing painting and then hit Cmd-N the canvas that comes up (in the canvas settings dialogue) is the same as the painting that wasdisplayed and not the default canvas. Is there a way, in these circumstances, to get the default canvas to display ... ummm ... by default?

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

No problem. ArtRage doesn't have a default canvas set to begin with, so will reset its canvas on restart, but otherwise if you open a painting with a different canvas, then create a new painting in that session it will use the same canvas settings as the painting you last opened.

However, you can set a default canvas. Here's how:

1/ Restart ArtRage ( to make sure you're using the standard canvas )
    2/ View -> Canvas Settings
    3/ Click the menu button at the top left beneath the grain preview and choose 'use current canvas as default'

This will mean that if you go to File -> New Painting after loading a painting with a different canvas, ArtRage will use the default canvas instead of the last canvas.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Here's how:

1/ Restart ArtRage ( to make sure you're using the standard canvas )
    2/ View -> Canvas Settings
    3/ Click the menu button at the top left beneath the grain preview and choose 'use current canvas as default'

This will mean that if you go to File -> New Painting after loading a painting with a different canvas, ArtRage will use the default canvas instead of the last canvas.
    OK ... well, that's what I thought I was doing. So I'm obviously missing something. I'll play some more and see what I can find out.

Happy Friday Beer-o-clock

Cheers

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========