ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The most basic of Layer questions....

The most basic of Layer questions....

So sorry. So i have a horse as a pencil layer and the horse as a painted layer and now I want to paint the scenery ....I merged the pencil and paint of the horse but the layer with the mountains, etc covers the horse. I've done layer order, blend modes. I am missing something so foundamental I am embarrassed. I also tried turning my horse into a stencil and that works of course but then I have a square with the horse in it.

always appreciative,
    deb

Quote Originally Posted by eehorse View Post
    So sorry. So i have a horse as a pencil layer and the horse as a painted layer and now I want to paint the scenery ....I merged the pencil and paint of the horse but the layer with the mountains, etc covers the horse. I've done layer order, blend modes. I am missing something so foundamental I am embarrassed. I also tried turning my horse into a stencil and that works of course but then I have a square with the horse in it.

always appreciative,
    deb
    Hi Deb not sure if I am reading you correctly, but you merged the two horse layers together , now was the background already painted, because this has to be the bottom layer in the stack and the combined horse layer should be above it. So click on the scenery layer and drag it to the bottom of the stack.
    Geoff

Layer basics

The scenery/ background was not already painted, is that the problem? Do that first? I would on paper but I didn't here. The scenery is on the bottom and the merged horse is above and when I paint the bottom it goes right over the horse.
    Should I begin again?
    I don't recal layer being this confusing in PS or Painter....?
    ugh....

Layer basics

I started over with a new painting and did the back ground first, just a quick scribble, then did a pencil and then painted the subject. I ordered the layers properly and it's all good. Just not sure how to fix the one i started, but just learned a bunch this morning.

Thank you!!!

I started over with a new painting and did the back ground first, just a quick scribble, then did a pencil and then painted the subject. I ordered the layers properly and it's all good. Just not sure how to fix the one i started, but just learned a bunch this morning.

Thank you!!!
    That is really strange, just one thing to check, is the blend mode for the horse layer and the scenery background is set to normal and normal opacity ?
    I paint backgrounds last all the time and never come across that scenario as the horse layer should hide any over painting.
    Geoff

Layer Basics

Thank you so much! So yes, I went back and checked the blend mode, returned it to normal and all is good. I told you I would be embarrased!

Thank you so much! So yes, I went back and checked the blend mode, returned it to normal and all is good. I told you I would be embarrased!
    Your very welcome.
    Geoff