ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lighthouse WIP I need quidence

Lighthouse WIP I need quidence

I'm very new to ArtRage (1 week). In my non-digital life I'm a watercolor artist. My initial reason for getting ArtRage was to help in solving problems when I'm stuck on a painting before ruining it. The drawing tool is excellent. Now I'm tackling the watercolor tool. I'm attaching my first attempt using the watercolor tool plus the reference. What I need help on is: What is a good way to create waves in water?

Let's hope the attachments work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighthouse 1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	69121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIGHTHOUSE PORTLAND 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	69122  

I can see two ways to do it- one is to preserve your whites, the other to be "anti-watercolor" and put them on top, more like a gauche. I'd try laying in your greens/ blues on one layer and then, using something like Juz's Triangular Chaos sticker spray brush, paint with white/grey/pale blue on a layer on top of it for the froth. I found that certain Sticker Sprays are very very useful when doing watercolors in Artrage when you want certain ambient, grungy effects. You could also look at the Flat versions of Someonesane's Sponge Brushes. They work well as well. You can find links to both of them in my Watercolor WIPS thread in the Gallery section. The thread's on the first or second page right now. I think the links are on page 6-8 or so in the thread. You'll find some example paintings around there as well, that demonstrate a bit of what you can do with them.

Good luck! The painting is looking pretty nice so far.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/