ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1950's Diner

1950's Diner

Had some trouble doing the floor and not satisfied with it, but posting it so maybe get some input
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1950's Diner.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	69088  

Overall the painting is done really well...as far as the floors are concerned, I cant really help you LOL
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

HI Pat as an ex-architectural draftsman.. I can tell your perspective lines are off between the floor and ceiling...without going into gory details just let me say that generally it is much easier to limit the eyelevel to show the floor or the ceiling...but not both and not when so close to a corner because the lines would look extreme.. it the case of your work the pattern of the floor is the interesting feature of the diner the ceiling really could be cropped out and enlarge the walls so it appears the viewer is closer to the corner table.. if any of this makes any sense..

good luck... gary

I think it's close to being there Pat. These might be useful for your floor... http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/ga...51501#/d4apcq8 download the file, choose the grid closest to what you want, select it as a stencil, resize to fit on a separate layer go over it with paint and use the lines as a guide. This chap has some other useful tutorials too.

Steve, thanks for checking it out always appreciate
    Gary, thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense, aha an ex draftsman, well now I know where all that talent comes from lol
    fraser, thanks so much for the site, I have already downloaded the file, this will be so helpful, really appreciate it

A very charming piece Pat. I know I have a lot of trouble with floors. I use the masking tools a lot.

Gorgeously painted memories again, mostly American ones, but somehow global reminders anyway!
    Some of the items in Your painting recall good past times and have local corresponding ones in the same periods, others not really. Frams had different architectures and made with bricks here, and gas stations and cars were sensibly different too, but i can feel the period mood and optimism anyway.
    For this type of place though, I may only rely on my old passion for rock'n'roll, Happy Days and, above all, the movie American Graffiti, where there was also a '50ies and '60ies item absolutely familiar here, a Vespa (the father of all scooters up to today which had a rival one in the vaguely similar Lambretta)!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Another great painting Pat, you really are pushing your boundries and its great to see
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Pat, this brings back fond memories for me. Love those old time diners.
    These competing perspective things like you have between the floor and ceiling often leave me banging my head against the wall in frustration.
    I think Gary nailed it. I would either crop out the ceiling, or, raise the wall, changing the lines of the ceiling to conform with the floor.
    Regardless, I like it a lot.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Nicely done Pat, we still have a place nearby that has kept the old look along with the music systems.
    Geoff