ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Black isn't absolute Black?

Black isn't absolute Black?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	68981

There's a painting in the middle (1024x768) which clearly shows that the black doesn't match the black surrounding it?

This mean that you do not have the absolute contrast at hand?

It's absolute black. It's just absolute black that is being hit by a pseudo light source. ArtRage uses a 3D rendered light source to add depth to many of it's tools (Oil Paints, Tube, Glitter, Crayon) and other things like the Canvas texture. So it appears as though your black is lighter, because there is a light shining on it. Turn off the lighting, and you won't see the edges of the canvas against the programs background, but you also won't get any of the 3D textures produces by the lighting. The lighting can be turned off by clicking on the light bulb toggle button, found on the Canvas Panel.

Here are two screen shots, of the same painting. The top one has the lighting on, and you can see the edges of the canvas as well as where I wrote the word "Black" on the canvas with the Paint Tube tool, in a pure black color. Because the light is on, we see the highlights. In the second image, however, I've turned the light off, and so we see nothing but black.

Name:	lighton.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	68987

Name:	lightoff.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	68986
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Oh, of course, I forgot about the light, thank you, someonesane for taking the time to clarify.