ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRINTMAKING THREAD -Updated 8-3-2012

PRINTMAKING THREAD -Updated 8-3-2012

I am starting on a new bent... trying to emulate or recreate a more print like look ( woodcut,linocut,lithograph etc ) so no canvas or other substrate textures, color a little flatter. no oil brush type textures in the brush marks. this is going to take some restraint on my part but this is the first cut... hope you like it.. I would be interested in your favorite printmaker if you leave a comment ..I learn so much from my forum mates about new artists and sometimes revisiting ones I know about..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaf Print.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	413.8 KB 
ID:	68980  
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 08-04-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: change of title

Gary, what a great challenge and love it, so you said no canvas, did you use paper and just the ink pen? I cant wait to see more, this is so interesting...Go My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary, what a great challenge and love it, so you said no canvas, did you use paper and just the ink pen? I cant wait to see more, this is so interesting...Go My Friend
    Hi Pat.. I used CEL which has no texture, the ink pen, mostly pencil and then used selections for fill colors etc.... for some of the shapes I did a prelim layer with oils and rollers to build up some interesting background then used selection to "cut" out the shapes and put them on their own layer. then deleted the background layer..

... and you've also managed to flatten the framing ... looks much like a horizontal hanging scroll would ...
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I like the colors , shapes and the whole thing

Very nice. The placement of all the shapes and colors and all the interest going on. Good job.

Do I dare mention Munch on this forum?

I think that this print, which I believe is called "Moonlight," can be instructive ...Of note are the rough edges of the main image as set against the grey-white border, including the odd wedge shape in the upper right-hand corner; the severely restricted palette; the minimal graphic treatment; the large areas of flat color broken up by the absence of color; the subtle continuous horizontal line dividing the water from everything else (the aggressive outlining of objects, especially the woman's head and upper body against the water); the lack of detail (or the illusion of detail that isn't really there), and some degree of transparency in the color overlays (head against the water, etc.) ...

Interestingly, Gary consciously or not has the continuous horizontal line in his image ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 07-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Very interesting project Gary. It's easy to see the amount of work you must have put into this. Nicely done.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    ... and you've also managed to flatten the framing ... looks much like a horizontal hanging scroll would ...
    Pete... thanks yes for this print project I will have to keep the framing colors flat to read appropriately..

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    Very nice. The placement of all the shapes and colors and all the interest going on. Good job.
    Thanks M-A I am trying to keep shapes simple but interesting ..

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    Do I dare mention Munch on this forum?

I think that this print, which I believe is called "Moonlight," can be instructive ...Of note are the rough edges of the main image as set against the grey-white border, including the odd wedge shape in the upper right-hand corner; the severely restricted palette; the minimal graphic treatment; the large areas of flat color broken up by the absence of color; the subtle continuous horizontal line dividing the water from everything else (the aggressive outlining of objects, especially the woman's head and upper body against the water); the lack of detail (or the illusion of detail that isn't really there), and some degree of transparency in the color overlays (head against the water, etc.) ...

Interestingly, Gary consciously or not has the continuous horizontal line in his image ...
    Pete absolutely and the print you added is perfect.. that is one of the looks I am trying to achieve.. just haven't figured out how to emulate the uneveness of color so characteristic of some woodblock prints. Where Munch used white to edge like around the red hair the and background I am using a shade of green so my finished image is not really adhering yet to the formalities of a true woodcut. In my younger days I took a woodblock print class that that uneven color was a no-no the instructor wanted our colors saturated and even..

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    Very interesting project Gary. It's easy to see the amount of work you must have put into this. Nicely done.
    Mike...thanks yes I mentally build all the parts for my work and figure out how to reassemble BEFORE starting the work.. as they directly influence the result.
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 07-28-2012 at 08:20 AM.

gxhpainter,
    Being one of the technically challenged ones, I can only imagine
    the creative strategy and detail work that went into this thinking
    and doing "out of the box" innovative piece.
    "Leaf Print" is a labor of love that has resulted in a quite handsome,
    work of art. Wow and well done!
    Mairzie Dotes