ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of "Triangle Chaos" brush and other watercolor fx stuff...

In search of "Triangle Chaos" brush and other watercolor fx stuff...

Hey All, Somewhere, I had seen that Juz (thank you!) had created a brush called "Triangle Chaos?" For the life of me, I can't seem to find them in the forums! Could someone please point it out? ::grateful::

I am working on <attempting to> duplicate the way I paint in watercolor with real watercolor, and so re-learning Artrage Studio Pro after a long break.
    Desperate for watercolor brushes or techniques that create those alcohol drips/spatters/cool effects. Reading through every forum post I can on the subject. So if there's any holy-grail of watercolor brush topic, please chime in?

Thanks!!!
    T

EDIT: Oh! Also, if there is a way to make a watercolor brush stroke 'taper' when you begin and end the stroke, that would be just great. Thanks again...
    Last edited by Tigermoth; 07-25-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Welcome Tigermoth!

I'm not sure if you've already found it, but I have an ongoing thread called Watercolor WIPs in the Gallery section all about using watercolors in Artrage. I try to to post images, with notes on process, settings, and tools used. It was always intended as an opportunity for general discussion on using watercolors in Artrage, with the idea that a group of us could post our images and share content, ideas, techniques, etc. It's ended up looking like a gallery of my work instead, but a few people have posted stuff. If you have work you want to share, or watercolor-specific questions you'd like to post, it might be a good place to start.

I've been busy the last month or so, and so haven't posted there, but I'm sure I'll be back eventually with new work, and I still browse regularly. There's lots of stuff there though, from last October or so, up to May. Juz's "Triangular Chaos" is linked to on pg 7-- I list a number of useful tools that I use in a post on that page. If you have questions after reading over the thread, either post there or PM, and I'd be happy to help if I can!

Re: tapering-- you should be getting this automatically, presuming you have a pressure sensitive tablet. My use of the watercolor tool doesn't leave a "blunt" end, but rather a tapered one. Are you looking for a certain effect? There might also be a setting to be checked in the "Preferences" pop-up window as well. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Steve B; 07-26-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Oh my gosh - I had a full reply written to you Steve, but when I went to preview it, the website had logged me out - so I lost my entire reply! Argh!!!!! THEN I rewrote this second post, and it told me I wasn't allowed to post web links as a newbie, and erased it all over again!!! I would have lost it if I hadn't copied it the second time! LOL Hey Artrage community guys, don't be so cruel to newbies!

---- OK anyway...

Basically, I said - thanks for welcoming me, and, this is just awesome! lol You have some very cool work on that thread and great info too, Steve! -- I'll bookmark it - and be happy to post something when I get to that stage. I did find Juz's brush, and yes tapering works with my tablet (yay!!!)

I would really like to develop a reasonable simulation of the way I work, if it's possible.. You can see my site here: inkgems <dot> com - apologies, as I'm still working at scanning/polishing work for most of the galleries but there are a few pieces in the Faerie Folk gallery (I do fantasy stuff). Also some older pieces on blog or deviantart, which are linked there.

Now, It seems like a big key with the watercolor brush is textures & canvas textures. I tend to work on either hot press WC paper, smooth 500 bristol, or 500 strathmore illustration board - so that's where it gets tricky. I'm not sure that I'll be able to duplicate certain things, but I'll be working on it.

Any further thoughts are totally appreciated! Cheers and thanks again, Steve B.

Quick note on being logged out:

If you don't want to be logged out after 15 minutes of inactivity: Check the 'remember me' box when you log in if you're not using a public computer

If you are logged out due to not checking 'remember me', you can log in again and your post should be preserved if your browser is accepting cookies correctly from the website.

if you try to post a link and the anti spam filter prevents it ( unfortunately a necessity at the moment due to the number of spammers we have attempting to do this ), if you click back in your browser, then refresh the page, your post should still be there for editing ( Just checked this with a test user account in Firefox and Internet Explorer )

If you find you're still having problems, feel free to email me at support@artrage.com and I'll be happy to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Just emailed you Dave.

Nice galleries Tigermoth. You've got a nice, earthy color palette. Who can complain if Rackham is given as an influence? He's wonderful!

If you're interested in duplicating certain effects of texture and canvas, Artrage is a good place to be! My advice would be NOT to wait, and just dive in and start posting stuff. It's the best way to get good technical feedback if you want it-- and if you're doing watercolors and are actually interested in technical feedback and discussion, that's just the sort of thing you'll find here I think. In that same vein, I'd say if you could photograph/scan some good closeups of some parts of your work (or work you'd like to emulate) and post it in the above Watercolor WIPs thread, or one of your own (perhaps in the Technical area?), then we could really get to work seeing if we can recreate what you're looking for. I love that kind of challenge, and if we succeed, then it would give me a good canvas to use for my own paintings too!

I will say that, in my experience, Artrage has some difficulty replicating the experience of working with drips, splatters, and salt. So, keep that in mind. You can get some reasonable effects using some of the Sticker Sprays, but it has a sometimes "planned" feeling, versus the sort of spontaneity of working with wet watercolors. Still, I love it, and it's easily my favorite art program for making natural media emulation.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    Try out the free

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Nice galleries Tigermoth. You've got a nice, earthy color palette. Who can complain if Rackham is given as an influence? He's wonderful!

If you're interested in duplicating certain effects of texture and canvas, Artrage is a good place to be! My advice would be NOT to wait, and just dive in and start posting stuff. It's the best way to get good technical feedback if you want it-- and if you're doing watercolors and are actually interested in technical feedback and discussion, that's just the sort of thing you'll find here I think. In that same vein, I'd say if you could photograph/scan some good closeups of some parts of your work (or work you'd like to emulate) and post it in the above Watercolor WIPs thread, or one of your own (perhaps in the Technical area?), then we could really get to work seeing if we can recreate what you're looking for. I love that kind of challenge, and if we succeed, then it would give me a good canvas to use for my own paintings too!

I will say that, in my experience, Artrage has some difficulty replicating the experience of working with drips, splatters, and salt. So, keep that in mind. You can get some reasonable effects using some of the Sticker Sprays, but it has a sometimes "planned" feeling, versus the sort of spontaneity of working with wet watercolors. Still, I love it, and it's easily my favorite art program for making natural media emulation.

Thanks Steve! Yep Rackham (and all those Golden-Illustrators) are wonderful.

I still need to really get more acquainted with the brushes and things, it has been a while since I used Artrage, so will need some time. Could probably use a better understanding of how all the settings and details work too; and that in turn would help me ask much better questions.
    But, I'll see if I can get some good close-up shots as soon as I can - and let you know when I post, say within a few weeks? It will be a fun sort of challenge! I have been thinking as a last resort, to do my own textures and scan them in as effects for a background - but somehow it would seem better if it can be done on-the fly. No software program will ever be able to fully replicate the amazing things watercolor can do! But we can try with Artrage - which is why it's my fav too.

Artrage blends colors very well. So thats one thing on its good check list. Ambient inner textures using watercolos are rather difficult to achieve in Artrage though, IMO. My process is to use real world textures that you import and use with an Overlay blend mode to get the grungy tonal shifts that make things look "real". I go into the process in some detail in the later pages of the thread. Getting good "rim" textures in Artrage is very achievable though, using the right kind of canveses and brush settings. That stuff it does really well and is super fun in Artrage.

Good luck! See you around.
    Try out the free

I -think- I know what you mean by "Ambient inner textures," I may put up a photo of something like that (what I think it is) later on so we can compare notes. Same thing when you say "rim" textures. What I imagine that to mean is the effect watercolor does when more pigment is pushed out to the edge so you get a darker, organic 'line' of pigment surrounding a thinner area of watered pigment?

I like that type of thing a lot - I often do that sort of thing in real wc by dropping in heavier pigment into a wash and 'pushing' it a bit, or even adding/dropping in mica-infused pigments (like the kind Daniel Smith offers - check it out if you haven't seen those!!!)

So you get these sort of organically shaped 'bubbles.' In my real work, I actually like to form these around areas or details of a painting sometimes, like parts in the seaweed. I like that almost 'stained glass' feel. I noticed Artrage lets you -kind- of do this with the Dried Strokes wc brush, but they are circular, too 'perfect' and to get any organic feel you have to sort of move the brush around... yet there's still not that wispy, feathery bleed out (branch-like) texture from it.

ANyway... lol yes, will write again fairly soon, just after a bit more time learn some more, and take photos. Wow, already made a friend on here that relates.. cheers, Steve

T

Hi Tigermoth
    Here's a link to the brushset that contains Triangle Chaos:-
    http://www.silicongraffiti.com/JuzGrunge01.zip
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)