ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still life as lemon ...

Still life as lemon ...

... I know what you're thinking, this painting IS a lemon ... well, last night I found myself staring at the blackish nib of a lemon on the table and wondering how to set it off against the yellows so this is the result ... AR oil on fine canvas with a touch of chalk for the nib ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Really interesting

Very effective. I truly get the lemon!

chinapete...an interesting perspective...a macro view of a common subject...moves it into another realm.. in this one I really like the way you build of the form with the yellows they have a great depth to them ,an ocean of lemon-ness..

I agree with Gary, forming all the yellows to shape the lemon is really good

Very very strong graphic, ChinaPete. To my sensibilities this is hugely successful owing to it being an image that can stand on its own merit. As I see it, it appears that you have not only done an extreme close up detail, but you processed it a little (whether you have or not it appears so). And what I see as the difference is that you took a CU detail and personalized it by adding something more than was there before.

Forgive me for putting it like this, but I can't see how to say it differently, but I personally don't need someone to call me over to a microscope and say flatly, "look at this". Not saying that is what you have done entirely. Rather, as an artist who I would want to pay attention to, in this case you seem to be taking the microscope and interpreting it in your own artistic way. I find that infinitely more worthy for a visionary. Personal interpretation is what it's all about, a springboard as it were. This notion hadn't dawned on me until I saw this particular picture of yours. So that's my spin on it, for what it's worth.

Very well done, ChinaPete.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi. Pete. One. Word well two. Eye. Eye.

Hi. Pete looking again the eye and ear of a polar bear

hey eighty+ ... well, as they say in your part of the world, if you have a lemon, you can make ... lemon-eyed, hahahaha ....

Marilyn Anne, Gary, Pat ... thanks for the insights ...

D Akey
    , I want to circle back later and offer a defense, if defense is needed, of what I'm doing, but for now, may I suggest a slightly different analogy, a magnifying glass and not a microscope, for this work at least, the idea was to make what was sharply visible more diffuse, it was the architecture of the lemon and not what was beneath the peel that appealed ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Nothing to defend based on my comments hopefully. I was saying it appeared like you added a level of yourself in it and this time you seemed to have interpreted the image in addition to zooming in on a small portion of the surface. It looked like your painting had some of you in it. I was saying that's adds to the artistry IMHO. Certainly it dimensionalized the experience for me, even if I projected that onto it when it wasn't something you consciously aimed to do. But certainly no defense was needed and your clarification is groovy.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

This painting, whatever detail it was born from is great (reality is always the best and most imaginative teacher to study from and make discoveries from of visual words we may insert in whatever visual speech we wish). It certainly fits the title, but also some sort of inner sense of color and elegance we need.
    It's affirmative, strong, likely and vital enough to energize us.
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!