ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Back to the lily pond ...

Back to the lily pond ...

... this is a variation on my own lily pond series in a separate thread ... the technique is the same as in "Conversion of Saul" and "Self in Restoration" -- AR oil on fine canvas, with Driest Brush headings set to middle range, but max thin, and with very thin Dry Varnish stippled over the surface ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 07-24-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

nice blend of colors chinapete, I think I see some fish in there lol

Red face Lost in the reflections..

cp - really really like this one..I can easily envision it as 8' square and the luminous colors would provide a very meditative surface to gaze at .. the colors are excellent.

Absolutely stunning. Very nice pond effect. Carries a whole universe in it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hi pat, did you notice the "no fishing" sign?

gary, you mentioned the "luminous" colors, and that's good news, but I'm still struggling with differences in display as I go from platform to platform, for example, when I export from the iPad via Dropbox, the file comes across as a .ptg, which I then carry over into AR Pro on my Windows-based laptop, so I can convert it to .jpg for posting ... The fall off in color in AR Pro vs the image I see on the iPad is significant, and when I export the .ptg as a .jpg, there is yet another color shift, which usually requires further adjustment before I can post ... I'm never sure that what everyone sees is what I think they are seeing, or even what I intended ... Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but much of my work depends on subtle gradations in color, which seem to get lost in translation...

d akey, one day we'll have to open a discussion on the shocking discovery, in the 17th century, of worlds within worlds... lines from Marvell's poem "The Garden" could be a starting point:

The mind, that ocean where each kind
    Does straight its own resemblance find ;
    Yet it creates, transcending these,
    Far other worlds, and other seas ...
    Artrage Gallery

Fantastic experiment and extraordinary outcome! M. Monet would love Your pond!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

... If only I could turn "Monet" into "Money"
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete.. i totally understand your issues with transferring files from one system to another and suffering color shifts, particularly in the case of your art which as you say has subtle color shifts and tones. I went so far as to buy a Spyder to calibrate my monitor to my printer and got some small success but even so by the time I reduce my image and convert to jpg. a tremendous amount of detail and texture is lost. I am torn between creating images large enough to print ( 24 x 36") or what looks good as a small jpeg.. mostly I opt for a large print image and suffer the color and detail loss by size reduction and conversion. This is were digital art is still suffering against traditional media. Although even in tradional media improper use of color, mediums etc could result in a paintings degradation over time..with cracking and crazing...

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    d akey, one day we'll have to open a discussion on the shocking discovery, in the 17th century, of worlds within worlds... lines from Marvell's poem "The Garden" could be a starting point:

The mind, that ocean where each kind
    Does straight its own resemblance find ;
    Yet it creates, transcending these,
    Far other worlds, and other seas ...
    Oooh. . . nice verse. Yeah, it's a philosopher artist's dream subject. Can spawn many paintings like this one, or visa versa.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream