ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Conversion of Saul ...

Conversion of Saul ...

... a freehand interpretation of a detail from a painting by Jacopo Palma (16th c.) ... One of the men traveling with Saul has fallen to the ground and is raising his arm against the powerful light, which is the voice of the Lord that blinds Saul (Acts 9:1ff) ... Note: Thanks to MisterPaint for the classical skins tones, which I've muddied badly ... AR on iPhone, iPad, AR Pro for colorizing and slight blurring ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I feel like a kid in a church pew, listening to a sermon where the preacher says, turn to Chapter Five, Page 32, Line 4, Second sentence, sixth word, second syllable, third letter. . . and there are folks that do that with the Bible, in which each letter is analyzed. Mostly Jews do it considering the power therein. But clearly it wouldn't happen in that context, but I would find it very amusing were that to happen with any expectation of the congregation getting it.

As a kid though, I would probably be tripping out on the stained glass windows. . . which is also fragmented. Viewing distance changes the viewing experience on many levels. I remember going through the churches in Paris looking at the artistry and craft that included how the figures were drawn, and the irregularities in the glass itself and so on, trying to imagine what the artisans of the times must have been about doing these, taking breaks for lunch, how much they might have made, what their attitude was about the job they were doing, and so on. . . all from a stained glass window depicting something that was not intended to pay heed to those details.

I must say though, your picture is hard for me to grasp. Interesting premise though.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Interesting to see such a detail of an arm and the warmth of the skin color.
    I didn't remember that specific painting of Jacopo Negretti (called Palma il Giovane), but I found another one whose colors don't look muddy at all and the classical skin tones are quite inetersting I'd say ... LOL
    I think this one may also meet D Akey's taste (he wouldn't hear any preacher around ), finding it pretty interesting (for the incarnati, i.e. complexions colors ) also considering that it is a quite ancient painting (second half ogf the XVI century).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

D Akey, what harm in a disembodied arm? ...

Caesar, the painting I have in mind has been in a private collection, and probably still is ... I know this because my reference is from a Sotheby's catalogue, which shows that Palma's "Conversion of Saul" was auctioned in July 1996 ...

Since mention of Sotheby's is likely to upset Twaager, I should add that I bought about 20 Sotheby's and Christie's catalogues for $1 each many years ago at a garage sale and have found them useful as scrap for compositions ... I have never been to an art auction, but one day would like to attend one of my own ...

ps: by "muddied colors" I meant I was trying to imitate Titian (Palma was one of his students), who famously said that one must make colors "dirty" ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 07-24-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete.. I really did not know what to make of this particular work...but given your penchant for partial crops of masterpieces this is quite nice... I imagine the Sotheby's catalogs are a great resource of the more esoteric works of the masters...I like the concept and title.. always interesting dialog from your work..

Well, arm is zooming in on harm so it needs to be deconstructed . . . That's very witty, ChinaPete.

Could be they go 'arm in harm.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

OK. I think found it in a catalogue. Look here
    http://fe.fondazionezeri.unibo.it/ca...e+di+san+Paolo
    That one is now in Dayton Art Institute, US. I cannot say, though, looking at the B&W picture, which is the arm You painted and its actual color ... anyway I would still sloghtly prefer the one I attached before ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-24-2012 at 08:18 PM.

... hai fatto una bella ricerca ... I've attached the reference photo I was working from .... I had to imagine the colors, so I chose Titian, and MisterPaint's palette to keep things simple ... It's interesting that in Palma, the horse is the center of attention, hehe ...
    Artrage Gallery

Thank you, dear CPete!
    ... and the horse looks somehow even more stunned (not so caught and afraid) and seems to look aroudn trying to understand what happened and to ascertain if the riders are OK after the "accident" ...
    The catalogue I found is possibly the complete list of Jacopo Negretti or Nigretti's (Palma il Giovane to discriminate him from his granduncle Palma il Vecchio). He's certainly a very important painter of the glorious Venitian school and tradition since he learned from Tiziano, but was also influenced and studied from Tintoretto paintings and, in Rome, from Raffaello artpieces.
    He would have been most likely a painting top ranking superstar in almost any other age and country than Italy, at least in the period from Renaissance to the Baroque, through the Manierism ...