ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dry and wet brush

Dry and wet brush

Hi again,

Is it possible to use a dry brush (without paint), or on the contrary a brush with only more or less water (without paint) ?

Thank you again.

Hi, Claudine! Here's what I do-- On the Roller or Oil Brush I set "loading" to zero. Then I experiment with various amounts of pressure and thinners. I made a "Dry roller" preset which is: Loading and Thinners set to "0" and Pressure set to "50". I have a Dry Brush for Oil, also; same principle.

There is a "Just Water" preset for the watercolor brush-- it is as follows: Pressure 50, Thinners 100, Loading 100, Color Bleed 50; then turn off Paper Wet and Insta-Dry; and turn on Auto-Clean. I love to play with the Just Water setting.

Sueellen's right - The oil brush set to Loading 0% doesn't load any paint on to the bristles so you can use it to smear, same for the roller (and the palette knife). With watercolour there are two ways to get nothing but water: Thinners to 100% and Loading to 0% removes almost all of the pigment from the stroke, and setting the colour of the paint to white prevents any of the tint coming through during use.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you very much !

Your expérience is very precious.