ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ciao Marcello!

Ciao Marcello!

The sketch version from a reference with a limited caricature accent.
    I would like to find a process for a fine painting to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marcello Drawing.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	68706  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

This is very very good Cesare and so confidently done, well done my friend
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Caesar what a great character study... so well done... I can envision it also with some light tints of color like a watercolor and ink work one of my favorite styles.. like what hypotaxis does in some of his work....

This is so fantastic Caesar, you are so good at all your sketches, it is true what they say Practise Makes Perfect

Well done Caesar !!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Well done Caesar, such strong face with so much detail.
    Geoff

Would this be Marcello Mostroianni? Or would it be someone else? Has his feel. Your caricature makes it look stylized so it's hard to tell if you're doing him, and saying goodbye or hello to someone who has left the planet some 16 years ago, but made some immortal movie roles that come to life all the time.

Anyway, nice drawing whoever it is.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank You, dear Katie! I started from a small size B&W picture of Marcello Mastroianni (an Italian actor who was the preferred one by Fellini and who was also married for some years to the French actress Catherine Deneuve). I tried to modify harmonically his head and face elements proportion while keeping and, possibly, enhancing, his expression. Pencil only, the shading come with 100% tilting.

Dear Gary, as You seem to have guessed, this was actually intented to be a starting drawing (if successful in its likeness to Marcello Mastroianni look and personality) for a few alternate styles experiment I'd like to go on with. Thank You!

Thank you, dear Pat! You're right, insofar you never presume You may stop learning and understanding so as not to get too authomatic and repetitive in your process, I think. To this purpose, we should never cease to go on also with "intelligent" copy excercises from real.

Thank You, dear Sandra! With some nostalgia for the promiosing dolce vita times, in 60ies (where I was only a child and kid though).

I'm glad You like this drawing, dear Steve. Thank You!

Maybe I should have economized with lines, dear Geoff, but i may use this as a starting point for quite a few different excercises ... Thank You!

He was intented to be Marcello Mastroianno at his middle age, dear D Akey, You're right. Obviously it's not that easy to keep likeness with a poor B&W reference picture and intuitively changing his head and face elements proportion without deforming him, especially considering I wanted to keep an expression where most of his personality could emerge. Anyway it's a base for experiments where I hope to be able to recover also some more likeness. Thank You!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!