ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Corot ...

After Corot ...

... freehand, mostly monochromatic rendering of one of Corot's "leaning tree" paintings in the National Gallery, London ... interested in the peculiar silvery light in his late paintings ... iPad w/ oil brush and pencil ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Ooooh. . . I like it a lot. But isn't it rather obvious it's after Corot? You just did it and Corot painted over a century ago. . . I mean do the math. . .

I really like it a lot. It actually reminds me of Seurat's sensibilities in his atmospheric tonal charcoal drawings. This is clearly different, but it's the use of strategic use of values in tone rather than line, except as it happens in nature with branches and such. But as it reminds me of tone, the line of that diagonal tree/branch to the left of the tree that is leaning out into the lighter area reminds me also of a crack in an old fresco as does the patina. But I like the texture and the composition and the atmosphere you achieved. It's just deviating from reality enough to imply an artistic consciousness in search of the fresh at work.

Go ChinaPete Go!!!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

fantastic monochrome work... I like the sense of deep distance in the landscape. the leaning tree the dense dark foreground..amazing in that it looks totally non digital...

haha, D Akey, if I'd had even primitive math skills, would I have been content to be a poor starving artist? ... thanks as always for your perceptive comments ... seurat happens to be among my least favorite artists, but I see the point, or points, lots of little points in fact ... what I'm trying to do can be summed up in ezra pound's formula, "make it new" ... the "it" implies that we are born into a world filled with art objects in high and low culture, and everything in art that can be done, has been done ... but this is not a moment for despair, it is instead a rallying call to the individual to re-invent ... a famous philosopher once said, you can destroy a red object, but not the color red ... more positively, although you cannot create beauty, you can invent something beautiful (or, if you don't like the word "beautiful" in relation to art, then fill in the adjective of your choice) ...

gary, I've been thinking of starting a post on the discussion board, to be called something like "digital arts scorecard" ... there I would explore with other interested artists the advantages and limitations of digital art ... it was with some horror that I realized I must be placed among the 99% Twaager was talking about the other day, when he suggested the majority of posters here are amateurs ... I would prefer to call myself a "neophyte" -- a beginner, because I'm new to digital arts ... of course, anything I am able to do in digital art, I have already done or am able to do in traditional painting media ... but the results are different, and when you said that "After Corot" looks "non-digital," this made me think about the great culture divide that has sprung up between "real" artists and those who produce art with digital media ... it's a false divide, or at least that's my assumption, and I've been wondering what others think ...

... in the meantime, I've attached a thumb of work-in-progress for "After Corot" ... you can see that the "leaning tree" was given attention right away, and that in later stages, and in the finished painting, the line was blurred and thickened, but the first gesture was the right one ... if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have continued (this gets to the scorecard issue, since we all know that in digital painting, you can hit the "undo" button and try again -- score 1 for digital art! ) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Artrage Gallery

gary, I've been thinking of starting a post on the discussion board, to be called something like "digital arts scorecard" ... there I would explore with other interested artists the advantages and limitations of digital art ... it was with some horror that I realized I must be placed among the 99% Twaager was talking about the other day, when he suggested the majority of posters here are amateurs ... I would prefer to call myself a "neophyte" -- a beginner, because I'm new to digital arts ... of course, anything I am able to do in digital art, I have already done or am able to do in traditional painting media ... but the results are different, and when you said that "After Corot" looks "non-digital," this made me think about the great culture divide that has sprung up between "real" artists and those who produce art with digital media ... it's a false divide, or at least that's my assumption, and I've been wondering what others think ...

... in the meantime, I've attached a thumb of work-in-progress for "After Corot" ... you can see that the "leaning tree" was given attention right away, and that in later stages, and in the finished painting, the line was blurred and thickened, but the first gesture was the right one ... if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have continued (this gets to the scorecard issue, since we all know that in digital painting, you can hit the "undo" button and try again -- score 1 for digital art! ) ...
    chinapete... your comment raised all kinds of mental dialog in my head.... too bad or maybe not that what comes out the keyboard is a lot slower... about amateurs.... I have spent a good deal of time being a bit envious of those "professional" artists but after talking to them a lot of the suffer a lot with trying to do the business of marketing their work and even after they "make it" there is a certain uneasiness in them... Finally realized that in reality being an amateur does not mean one has a lack of artistic understanding, education in the art history etc. only that one does not earn a living from it.But we can love painting, music, dance with all the same passion and love and create some very fine art indeed . all that is really required is to love it and do it.. I have met many very talented people who did great things while in school but soon gave it all up and rarely if ever take it up. I think the Chinese had a better view on it ( correct me if I am wrong) but they viewed painting, poetry as a natural thing to be done by any educated person, certainly there were masters but the practice was encouraged ... which I think is an important part of this forum the open and accepting nature of the people here. I agree that the divide between natural media and digial is a temporary artificial one. I mean after all , all the digital programs like AR, Painter etc are modeled after effects from natural media, the beauty here is the speed and ease of correcting trying new things ( color adjustments) and the use of layers to to and undo.. I think the process is quite different but the range of effects acheivable is a lot larger. I am reminded that at one time oil paint was revolutionary over the use of tempera paints. the use of glazing, better colors in more hues and a controlled and delayed drying time launched several centuries of discovery and fantastic work.

Beautiful Chinapete

Best,

Weeks

Hi, Weeks

Gary, thanks for engaging me on these topics ... A long reply belongs in a separate thread, especially about the Chinese tradition, where there was a real distinction in ancient times between "academic" (professional) and "literati" (amateur) painters -- of course, today the works of the so-called "amateur" painters are the more prized for their greater expression of individual spirit, as against the academic professionals, who were merely technically competent ...
    Artrage Gallery

Here You really grasped Corot tonally in an amazingly powerful and subtle way. it may well be one of his preparatory bozzetti. Bravo!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

...thanks, Caesar
    Artrage Gallery

Seurat's drawings were very different from his paintings, in the final effect anyway and I'm not too crazy about his color work either. And for that reason I was surprised and impressed at the clear thinking he displayed in his drawings, by way of simplifying the overt plays of lights and darks (which he would use as maps of where to place his stippled colors of optical mixing). It's like my general preference often times for the look of little color thumbnail sketches over the larger finishes, not specific to Seurat. There's a quality specific to the preliminary work as an end in itself that I prefer over the next steps. The drawings didn't often get shown except as a step for the paintings so I think they were largely overlooked.

In case you haven't seen them, Seurat's Drawings:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&...AsPg2QXH8tnmBg
    Last edited by D Akey; 07-10-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream