ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artifacts in the sand

Artifacts in the sand

I was watching a OPB ( Oregon Public Broadcast ) show about digging up artifacts in a small English village ( people dug 1 meter square pits) supervised by official Archeologists and they found small colored bits dating back to Viking invasions, Romans etc.. amazing small bits of history they were living on top of.... anyway that was the inspiration for this piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jewels in the Sand.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	501.3 KB 
ID:	68414  

... jewel-like shapes and colors ...
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

This one is a Beauty!

Pleasant palette. Cool and refreshing.

Rather reminds me of a quilt - various segments from elsewhere brought together for a new purpose. Also the texture has a woven appearance, leading me to the idea of fabric patches. Thematically it has rural associations to me - something that can also be rolled out when you want to make such an association.

It would look great in a modern country kitchen (cottage) or something (as a possible place to put it were you 'hanging' your work into architectural digest photos to see how it plays in a room). Might also play well over a toy chest with stuffed animals below as a counterpoint. Not saying this to diminish your painting. It's just how my mind was free associating. It's different enough from the usual pics of roosters and pigs and shadow boxes, though it's has a foot in both camps - crafts rustic and artsy modern.

----- above is before reading what you wrote.

Having read your intention/inspiration, it's intriguing that you got visually to this. I would suggest continuing. I like the ideas. Has a little of the Swedish colors to it for me.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very interesting!

I saw the same show and also thought it was very intriguing . Nice thought to put it into art work and the painting is interesting too. Good job!

Nicely done Gary, sure has the look of pieces of pottery etc that you find on these digs.
    Geoff

Gary, this is so pretty, a diamond in the rough lol great job as always

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    I was watching a OPB ( Oregon Public Broadcast ) show about digging up artifacts in a small English village ( people dug 1 meter square pits) supervised by official Archeologists and they found small colored bits dating back to Viking invasions, Romans etc.. amazing small bits of history they were living on top of.... anyway that was the inspiration for this piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    ... jewel-like shapes and colors ...
    Thanks chinapete, as a matter of fact originally I was going to call it Jewels in the sand but changed to match the idea of find pottery fragments, and bit of iron and silver..and gold..

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Another cool one dear Gary!
    Thanks dear Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzenkran View Post
    Pleasant palette. Cool and refreshing.
    thanks for commenting always appreciated here..

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Rather reminds me of a quilt - various segments from elsewhere brought together for a new purpose. Also the texture has a woven appearance, leading me to the idea of fabric patches. Thematically it has rural associations to me - something that can also be rolled out when you want to make such an association.

It would look great in a modern country kitchen (cottage) or something (as a possible place to put it were you 'hanging' your work into architectural digest photos to see how it plays in a room). Might also play well over a toy chest with stuffed animals below as a counterpoint. Not saying this to diminish your painting. It's just how my mind was free associating. It's different enough from the usual pics of roosters and pigs and shadow boxes, though it's has a foot in both camps - crafts rustic and artsy modern.

----- above is before reading what you wrote.

Having read your intention/inspiration, it's intriguing that you got visually to this. I would suggest continuing. I like the ideas. Has a little of the Swedish colors to it for me.
    Always a treat to get you impressions on my work. I do see the quilting aspect.. a crazy quilt is one of those made of irregular patches.. always fun... I guess the blues and whites are the hint of Swedish color you mention I am quite of the CoBrA school and their artistic goals, and colors.

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    Nicely done Gary, sure has the look of pieces of pottery etc that you find on these digs. Thanks Geoff glad you stopped by for a quick look.
    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary, this is so pretty, a diamond in the rough lol great job as always
    Thanks Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    I saw the same show and also thought it was very intriguing . Nice thought to put it into art work and the painting is interesting too. Good job!
    Great so you saw that show also. I thought I was amazing that they got the whole village involved in the dig and what they found!...English history is so rich and varied.. must be hard to learn all that in school... I was terrible with dates and names...