ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the "Just add water Brush"

Problems with the "Just add water Brush"

Hello, can anyone give some help on a problem I am experiencing with the just add water brush? I find that to use this brush for blending it picks up the previous colour blended and then of course muddies any fresh colours that i use it on.
    e.g If I use it to blend say blue and green , then use it to blend blue and pink, the mix from the blue and green is carried over, even though these colours are apart from each other and the auto clean is turned on.

I'm hoping there is a simple explanation for this that I've overlooked, I've had artrage pro 3.5 for some time now but only recently started to use it. Any help is welcome, thank you.

If you are using the 'just water' preset in the presets panel for the watercolor brush, the watercolour brush head is dirtied by colours it comes into contact with until you lift your stylus / mouse button at which time it is reset to default.

If this doesn't help, can you email me with the steps you're using in as much detail as possible at support@artrage.com including which tools you're using and whether you're referring to the 'just water' preset in the watercolor presets panel or something else, and I should be able to help from there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you Dave, I shall drop you an email about this problem.

I think this is related…

I have just been using the 'Just Water' brush (with 'Auto Clean' on) and noticed that if I change the 'Thinners' setting on it, the 'brush' reverts back to being a normal watercolour brush now using the current settings and whatever the last colour selected in the colour picker was.
    But altering any of the other settings for the brush are OK and it still works as only water.

I'm fairly new to AR so if this is what its supped to do forgive my ignorance!

EDIT: Ah I think this is similar to what Mozisart is seeing. Here are the steps...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	421.1 KB 
ID:	68388
    Last edited by markw; 07-06-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks for the details. Here's how it works.

All of the items in the presets panel are collections of settings, they're not individual brushes. So, when you select a preset what you're doing is selecting a specific set of settings for that tool .e.g. 'just water' is a preset for the watercolor brush. You will notice if you have both the presets panel and settings panel open at the same time that choosing a different preset just changes the values in the settings panel.

If you select a preset, then change a setting in the settings panel, the preset is no longer highlighted as you're no longer using that preset ( due to changing the settings ).

The 'thinners' setting controls the amount of paint vs water on your watercolour brush. 'Just water' uses 100% thinners in order to paint just water. Note that there is never absolutely no color at maximum thinners, so you will always get a small amount of the currently selected colour. To avoid this, set your colour to white. White isn't a pigment with watercolour in ArtRage, so no colour will be added. Reducing the thinners value will add color again, you're no longer using the 'just water' preset, but a watercolor brush with the thinners value you just selected.

I hope this helps.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I noticed it does remove the preset if you do make a change in settings, however, where is the option to click a PRESET, such as JUST A DROP and then use NO PRESET ?

Thanks in advance!

edit(add):

I just noticed it was on the JUST A DROP PRESET but none were highlighted...
    Last edited by Mistokus; 03-14-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Presets are just combinations of settings. When you click a preset the tool settings are updated to those that were stored when the preset was created. There isn't an option to use 'no preset' after you click one because, technically, you're just using settings that were stored for that preset and there's no actual difference whether or not the preset name is visible at the top of the panel. That's just a way to remind people which settings they selected (something that was requested in ArtRage 3).

Hope that helps explain it!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Certainly substantial enought! Thanks, Matt!

Was just getting to using ArtRage (and loving it) being being a bit (quite) OCD (always?) I was looking for the option.

Thanks again!

Getting ready to post my first "official" piece of ArtRage art! Well, upload to my gallery, posted it on FB last nite.

Hi all,

Not sure if the behaviour is intentional or a bug as such but.... [EDIT: Not a bug, confirmed by Daverage]

The current active colour selected in your colour picker will always influence the just add water blend.
    (This holds true for any watercolour brush with 100% thinner).

So here in my example I have a stripe of cad yellow and a stripe of aliz crimson.

On the yellow stripe you can see clearly where I have used the just add water brush with aliz crimson as my currently selected colour and where I used cad yellow as my currently selected colour.
    The third blend down the stripe was made with white as the active colour.

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 03-20-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks Juz! I think I read that a while ago, and then forgot. Good, good, goodie.....