ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What's your favorite book as a small child? The one read a billion times to (or by) .

What's your favorite book as a small child? The one read a billion times to (or by) .

What book did you or your kids want to hear over and over and over and over.....

Some results from my question I have received already

How many trucks can a tow truck tow?
    the stinky cheese man
    mother goose
    The small miracle
    cloudy with a chance of meatballs

Hmmmm....

As a child I loved the "Busytown" books by Richard Scarey, like "What Do People Do All Day?" This has been a big hit with my daughter and my nieces too.

Other favorites of my daughter and 2 nieces have been-
    Jamberry
    Bat Night at the Library
    Mickey in the Night Kitchen
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

... will ponder more when I get home.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Never had one that was my favorite throughout my childhood. And I come from a simpler time. And TV was new, so a lot of the oweness of keeping kids engaged was directed that way. Captain Kangaroo would read books on occasion and I loved whatever he read.

But if we're talking very young picture books, I can remember a couple that are still in print: Tootle the Train.

I'm referring to the book. I have no connection with the play. Just a point of reference and mentioning that book has legs. . . or wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdRgvtFKcY

Also loved a lot of the Dr Seuss stuff. It was easy to read and something of a delight and the pictures looked like cartoons which I was steeped in from day one.

Make Way For Ducklings was great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fQpliJJQI

I know this isn't very helpful, but as one grows up, the reading changes to where there were no pictures at all, and the owe-ness for the pictures were between me and the words. And some splendid imagery it was to the point that if anyone ever adapted a book for movies, it was almost always a let-down. If I saw the movie first, it was far more satisfying. This was all pre-CGI. Now it's a toss up between Lord of the Rings and the first couple Harry Potter movies.

You probably already know about Caldecott and Newberry award books. Check those out if you want a good selection of classics in the field. Good for anyone aspiring to do Childrens Books.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

My children loved Babar the Elephant. Particularly the one where Alexander "gone bump." We had to skip the page where Cornelius turned green from eating toadstools. Much too scary!

And of course "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Rosie the Hen went for a walk." How many times have I read those books!

And in later years "A Wizard of Earthsea." by Ursula Le Guin. And then all the rest of her books. I still like those books and still read them!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Thanks all. I checked every one... D Akey. Thanks for the links. My brother had me convinced that his high school friend was mr. Green jeans and flew to new York to film captain kangaroo. Amazing the power an older sibling has...!

D Akey. Did you see the Norman Rockwell show at the museum when it was there? Actually knowing that Rockwell staged each painting with photographs and used projection gave me great hope!!!

favorite was The Children's Treasury A Book to Grow On by Helen Bannerman and illustrated by Charles Thornson. A most delightful collection of illustrated tales for Children with art to accompany them. I got them around 1954 when I was five years old. I think they may have been sold door to door back in the fifties. Never forget them. Stories like Clowntown, the Land of Nod, The Train that went Traveling, Jack and The beanstalk, Cuthbert, The Musicians of Bremen. Cleo. and another volume of poetry I believe. There were two volumes in the set. Probably be very boring for a five year old today.
    Later it was Robin Hood and Treasure Island. Illustrated of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Trea.../dp/B000JD61EW
    Last edited by screenpainter; 07-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyApp View Post
    Thanks all. I checked every one... D Akey. Thanks for the links. My brother had me convinced that his high school friend was mr. Green jeans and flew to new York to film captain kangaroo. Amazing the power an older sibling has...!

D Akey. Did you see the Norman Rockwell show at the museum when it was there? Actually knowing that Rockwell staged each painting with photographs and used projection gave me great hope!!!
    Hahaha. Gullible little brothers, everyone should have one. [hear this in a Yorkshire accent] I never did though. I was very deprived as a child. We were so poor I had to be both gullible little brother and older, teasing brother all rolled into one.

I'm afraid I did not see the Rockwell show in NYC or any other, save for a pic or two hanging in the Boy Scouts office in Texas. So yes, I have seen a couple originals. But I have books on him and have appreciated any info about him, especially his paintings. I loved his incredible ability to paint realistically yet put so much exaggerated heart into it, but the exaggeration was only ever for insuring touching the viewer's. Even his war time stuff was powerful though going in a different direction. And I must confess that his later stuff lost some of himself, probably being told what and how to paint by the people contracting him -- rather their version of "Norman Rockwell" imposed on the real Norman Rockwell, which is totally back asswards.

The studios did the same thing to Laurel and Hardy in their later years. They made very weak movies once the studio machine and another generation took over by taking the creative control away from the masters. Like telling Van Gogh to do a painting that combines Starry Night and one from the Loony Bin.

Anyway, what all this amounts to is no matter how much you're going to be influenced by looking at other people's work, when the moment comes where you see your own voice emerging, honor it and see where that road is going. The masters will always still be there for the periodic consults.

It sounds like an exciting road. Stay in touch with your joy and enthusiasm because that's going to get you there.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

As a child, "The Pokey Little Puppy"
    As a teenager to present day, "Dragonlance Chronicles" By Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

My all time favorite is Beautiful Joe , read for the first time in the early 40s and reread many times and cried each time. Also had and read the full series of The 5 Little Peppers , I loaned them to a friend for her children to read, she moved away taking my books with her Then got hooked on
    The Hobbit while reading it to my children

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Joe
    Last edited by justjean; 10-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.