ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: canvas/paper presets

canvas/paper presets

Hi everyone, I'm the proud new owner of art rage, but I'm having some difficulty with my paper presets - in the paper settings window the presets part is blank. There is a folder of presets in my resources folder but my program doesn't see them, which makes me think that they're just in the wrong place. Anyone know how to fix this?

And while we're on the subject, is it possible to create a paper texture from an external file, like a jpg of rice paper for instance?

Thanks!

Annie

Hi cosmonaut
    Inside your 'resources' folder you should have a folder called 'grains'. This folder should contain the bitmap images that make up the paper presets. You need to have both the grains folder and the presets folder for the paper presets to work.

If you have the Full version of ArtRage, you can load your own grain images by clicking in the circle labelled 'grain' inside the paper settings dialog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Andy, thanks for the help - I do have a grains folder, but the directory is like this: artrage2/resources/grains and artrage2/resources/presets/canvases/ - to have the presets show up in the preset settings (currently its blank) should I move the canvases folder to artrage2/resources/canvases?

Currently I'm not able to access any of the canvases.

Are you running on Windows or MacOSX?
    Are you using the Free version of ArtRage 2, or the Full version?
    Can you confirm you installed from an installer downloaded from the Ambient Design site, or our Kagi online reseller, or our eXchange online reseller?

The bitmaps for the canvases should be in:
    <install folder>/Resources/Grains

The presets for the canvases should be in:
    <install folder>/Resources/Presets/Grains

The installer should have placed them there when you installed. I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling, in case there are other folders or components missing from your install.
    If that doesn't cure the problem, send a note to support@artrage.com giving full details of your purchase, whether you're on MacOSX or Windows, which version of ArtRage you're using (you can find that in the help about menu option).

Full version, downloaded from Kagi. I'll try a reinstall - the folders are set up that way from my first install, and hopefully that will work.

Love the program, by the way!

Ok, that didn't work. I downloaded the free version, and when I open up the paper settings:

(I copied and pasted some of the full version papers into the free version)

but when I open settings in the full version (mac os x, i forgot to mention earlier):

I don't have access to any of these paper/canvases.

Any suggestions?

Ah, mixing the Free version of ArtRage and the Full version of ArtRage in the same directory is a bad idea.

The best thing to do would be to completely remove both the free version and the Full version of ArtRage, and re-install the Full version.
    If you need to get a copy of the OSX installer again, follow this link:
    http://www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html

Actually, I didn't put them in the same folder - I installed art rage free after I was already experiencing problems with the full version (and just to double check that the paper presets do exist and I'm not just hallucinating!). They are in seperate folders. Any other suggestions?

It would still be best to remove both the Free and Full version of ArtRage, and do a clean install. Also, you should remove your artrage.prs file from your username/library/applications settings folder.

The installer should set up the correct directories in the correct places with the correct contents.

That did it! Thanks for your help Andy!