ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bad Parameters

Bad Parameters

I get "Bad Parameter" errors every time when trying to select the first two of the oil brush presets, "A Blend With Extra Texture" and "A Blend With Texture".

These sound like custom preset files which have been added at some point as they don't appear to be in the list of presets which ship with the application. The error will indicate a problem with the specific preset files. They might be presets for a different tool type or corrupt files. Could I get you to email the preset files to me at support@artrage.com?

You can locate them by selecting the oil brush, opening the presets panel, clicking the menu button at the right and choosing 'open user tool presets folder'. You should see the two files with the same name as the presets here, or in a folder with the name of their category. When you email me, if you can recall where you got the presets from / how they were created, let me know. It's likely I'll be able to work out what's causing the problem from the files.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I didn't think about those perhaps being presets I had added to the application. These show up as part of the normal oil presets, not another custom set, which is why I assumed they were supplied with ArtRage. I have certainly added some things, all of which I found here in the "Art Supplies" section. I'm afraid I can't recall the source of those specific files but will mail them to you anyway. Thanks, Dave.

You can tell which presets are original to the program, by looking at the right hand side of them on the preset panel. If they were included with AR, they'll have a dot marking them.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane?, can you please indicate me where i put exactly the prs and the stk i have download recently made by you (line *.*)

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Someonesane?, can you please indicate me where i put exactly the prs and the stk i have download recently made by you (line *.*)
    For Stickers (.stk)

1 - Open the Sticker Panel

2 - Select a group, or create a new group to put the Stickers in (whatever you do, you must select a group, because you can't keep the Favorites selected).

3 - After selecting a group, the "Import Sticker" button will become active, so click on it and then browse your way to the .stk file you wish to import, and open it. The sticker should then be properly imported, and ready to use.

For Presets (.prs)

1 - Open the Preset Panel, and select the tool that the Preset belongs to (so if you have a preset meant to be used for the Sticker Spray, select the Sticker Spray Tool at this point).
    Note - Just because a preset may be named something like "Chalk 1", do not assume that it is meant to be a preset for the Chalk Tool. In many cases, a preset can be named for it appearance, rather then the tool it's supposed to accompany.
    2 - Select a group, or create a new group to put the preset in.

3 - Click on the Preset Panels Menu tab (small button with four horizontal lines), and select the option to "Import Preset to Collection". Browse your way to the .prs file you wish to import, and open it. The Preset should then be ready to use.

Note - When importing a Sticker Spray preset, be sure to also import the sticker it needs to use, by using the steps I mentioned above, for the .stk files. Then do not go into the same folders.

If you downloaded an ArtRage Package File (.arpack file type), all of the stuff above is unnecessary, as ArtRage should do all of the work for you. You'd just go to File > Install Package File and then select the file, which would open a panel that would allow you to pick whatever you'd like from it (just be sure you select any Stickers needed for any Spray Presets).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

@ Someonesane:
    Oh yeah, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. That means that the presets I mentioned are indeed native to ArtRage. Thanks.

EDIT: By DaveRage - Just a quick correction to help avoid confusion. See my post below for the location to add presets to.

These presets don't appear to be any of the native presets in the app ( I did a default install here and they don't exist ) but I see what the problem is. If the presets exist in the location I mentioned, this location is specifically for custom user presets. After I looked at the preset files I found that they were created with the palette knife, so if you select the palette knife, then open the preset panel, then choose 'import preset to collection' from the menu, they will be added and should function correctly. I'd recommend removing them from the oil brush.

Let me know if that isn't the case for you though and I'll be happy to look into it further.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quick note: Don't put any new presets in the ArtRage program files folder, that's not the correct location for user presets, and you'll lose them all if you delete the ArtRage folder at any point. The program files folder is only for ArtRage's default presets.

Use the method Someonesane mentioned, or import them in the manner I mentioned, or view my post here which indicates how to import custom presets and content: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...Rage-Resources

This post also includes information on the location of user presets for the various version of ArtRage.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks, Dave. That's strange though because I have only used the method you and Someonesane mentioned when installing new presets so I don't know how pallette knife presets should have ended up under oil brush. I thought the names seemed very odd!

The locations I mentioned (which you edited) were only given because I noticed all the resources there upon looking around my system. I now realise that non-native stuff will be in the Application Data.

I removed the two from oil brush and put them in knife and all is well.