ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge at Sunrise

Bridge at Sunrise

Done in oil and knife
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge At Sunrise.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	68099  

Wonderful sky and perspective of the bridge.
    A lovely painting dear Pat.
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Wow Pat i just do not know where you find the time to keep producing these fantastic paintings, that make me green with envy at your talent.
    Geoff

Amazing use of color and texture Pat!! Love the sky in this one my friend
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

really nice Pat... I like the ivy on the bridge and the arches... a delightful sky. I really love it when you use rich colors like this and the Canyon River you did recently.

Oh my gosh, what color!!! It's beautiful..
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Amazing Pat! Superb use of color.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

You're using very saturated colors recently, almost a reaction to Your starting delicate chromatism.
    This seems to be leading You across painting history evolution from late XIX to XX mid century, thus You're getting expressionist, fauve and probably abstract as a style and genre pretty soon. Quite interesting indeed! It seems that Your confidence and energy are growing more and more in Your artpieces.
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-28-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Red sky in the morning, painter take warning. . .

There are all kinds of theories about color and saturation. If one is going to paint with very saturated colors, and go for a realistic look, the painter needs to consider how the light is affecting the various places in the picture. I am okay with all of it except that green in the foreground. I think your grass greens in the middle ground across the river works with that sky color. In the foreground, the green is not under the same sky, not to my eye anyway.

The way you might want to look at every picture is what is the light source. And what is the color temperature. In this one it's overall mostly keyed to red and orange. There's some purple blues in the sky, but it's mostly about the warms in this one, and the purple blues serve to make the reds hotter.

That green in the foreground is too yellow green for this because most elements in a sky like this are tinted in that red orange direction. So you would neutralize your green by mixing some reds into it. Sure, there are greens that come out of a tube that could work like sap green probably would. But I'm giving you a rule of thumb to work with. It never hurts to imagine how light would interact with local colors and how it would strike objects and create shadows.

And if one is doing a color piece where they are not too concerned with it looking natural, like with Fauves paintings, then it's a simply matter of taste and how it works as an idea depicting perhaps psychological stuff.

But again, you took on a big challenge and probably have learned a lot in the process. Go Pat!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream