ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Not really happy with this one but here it is. "What lays below"

Not really happy with this one but here it is. "What lays below"

Not really happy with this one but here it is. "What lays below"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What lays benieth..jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	68059

Was this just a terable concept or just poorly excacuited? I noticed it was passed by.

I think I see where you were going. The lightplay is interesting. The Features could be more realized (a bit more realistic). The Eyes should probably match in composition.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

It's not entirely dissimilar to something that Nickillus painted for some competition or a magazine or something in which he painted Dracula or some undead laying waiting to rise. . . I assume. It's a popular genre theme. Don't know if that's where you were going with it, but it's really interesting that it has a cadaverous quality, which I take to fit with the title of underworld. But I find extra interesting is that not only is she facing down (often a human judgment symbolic of having lived an intentionally very bad life), but that we are looking up which puts us at an even lower position than she -- not a great place to be.

I think it is painted well for where you are at this stage of learning your craft. Your title sentence colors the theme so associations will come through that coupled with the picture, whether accurately getting what you intended or not.

Anyway, that's my spin on it. Nothing I personally want to fixate on in reality. But there are lots of gamers for example who might revel in such a bleak concept as part of a level to beat or escape or something fantastic like that.

Regarding the lack of response here to this piece, I think there's something every artist and writer and anyone else who lives off the interest of others, they would do well to know the audience. If you haven't noticed, most of the people around here are, shall we say, an older demographic. Your stuff might play differently to a younger crowd who likes darker stuff. Not saying you need to do anything differently. But you might want to shift your expectations relative to what you do and who you are aiming at if you expect interest or response based on your work.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    I think I see where you were going. The lightplay is interesting. The Features could be more realized (a bit more realistic). The Eyes should probably match in composition.

Thank you. I agree the eye's are a little out of sync but I was going for the illusion of being under water. Again thanks for your taking time to respond.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I was going for the dark rotting corpse waiting to rise up. she dies brutally and perhaps lived a corupt life of crime or street walker. Now she is face down and the light is reflecting from below and bouncing up to iluminate her face enough for us to get a glimpse of her face. It is true that being below her would be a bad thing. Perhaps you are laying below her with more decomposition and decay. Your time to rise has come but you are greeted with this face. Kinda creapy and dark I know but you are probly right. Most here are more into the clasic style of things. I tend to venture all forms of art.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    It's not entirely dissimilar to something that Nickillus painted for some competition or a magazine or something in which he painted Dracula or some undead laying waiting to rise. . . I assume. It's a popular genre theme. Don't know if that's where you were going with it, but it's really interesting that it has a cadaverous quality, which I take to fit with the title of underworld. But I find extra interesting is that not only is she facing down (often a human judgment symbolic of having lived an intentionally very bad life), but that we are looking up which puts us at an even lower position than she -- not a great place to be.

I think it is painted well for where you are at this stage of learning your craft. Your title sentence colors the theme so associations will come through that coupled with the picture, whether accurately getting what you intended or not.

Anyway, that's my spin on it. Nothing I personally want to fixate on in reality. But there are lots of gamers for example who might revel in such a bleak concept as part of a level to beat or escape or something fantastic like that.

Regarding the lack of response here to this piece, I think there's something every artist and writer and anyone else who lives off the interest of others, they would do well to know the audience. If you haven't noticed, most of the people around here are, shall we say, an older demographic. Your stuff might play differently to a younger crowd who likes darker stuff. Not saying you need to do anything differently. But you might want to shift your expectations relative to what you do and who you are aiming at if you expect interest or response based on your work.