ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lagging and random dropped stroke input!

Unhappy Lagging and random dropped stroke input!

Help! Every time I use this app it lags or registers my brush stoke and half way through or right at the beginning it'll stop drawing..or sometimes it won't register that I'm doing anything at all when I'm drawing right on the screen then it will register randomly and stop again. I'm not sure what the problem is, I have no layers, I just got the app. It happens right at the new first layer every time any tool. Also paint is very Laggy and slow so is pencil, pretty much everything is..I deleted all background apps and rebooted..on the new iPad

Same here. I have read and done all the sugestions in the readme's etc. The lag is very off putting. I have stopped using it now I prefer Procreate, no lag at all.

I wish they would fix the problem, there have been a couple of updates but none has fixed the problem.

Due to the complexity of running a paint simulation that tracks more than just colour, you will find that ArtRage runs slower than some other apps. Basically, the application is doing anywhere up to five times as much work as simple colour paint apps and we're really pushing the capabilities of the device. It's the price we're paying for doing physical paint calculations. If you're doing rapid sketch strokes then you may find some of the strokes drop due to processing speed and the time it takes to store strokes in the Undo system after you complete them.

That said, it shouldn't be so slow that it can't be used - Is it possible that some of the problem is actually the Stroke Gap (explained in the help system in the app under the memory & speed section)? The gap between the visible end of the stroke and the input point is due to the way paint blending works and you should find that that gap closes instantly when you lift your finger.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Unhappy Poor excuses

Surely the point of a painting app should be the painting comes first,even with record script off i find this app lags far to much to be of any pleasure to use.Sketching is ok but any form of painting results in frustration.
    If you can't get the main function of the app running fast then theres no point in having 5 things happening behind the scenes because who will want to use it at all.

When we produced ArtRage for iPad we decided to put the entire paint simulation in to the product because that's what the app is about. While we'd love to be able to get the speed of the desktop version in there, we would end up removing what makes the product unique in order to do that and we'd rather provide something that can be used for rich, natural painting. There are plenty of art apps that are well suited to rapid sketching and flat colour work already, which is great, but we're focused on depth and texture and we do have plenty of users working happily with the product currently.

We will certainly continue to look at ways we can get more speed out of the app on the device, but we're not going to strip out the simulation as it stands.

I haven't seen a reply to my question regarding the stroke gap and whether that relates to the lag? From anyone, in fact... The reason I ask these questions is because, obviously, there are people using it and if someone comes in saying it's unusable our first reaction is to see if there is something specific we can help with. If you'd like support, you will unfortunately have to work with us as we try to gather information. It's hard to pull a solution out of thin air.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Your default brushes lag without adjusting any settings,surely you should ship the download with optimized brushes if this is an issue.
    Don't get me wrong i think the app has great design and potential but for me its just to frustrating to use for any serious artwork,i am sure many do use it regularly but i still stand by what i said,if the app lags so much that its not enjoyable to use then having realistic paint strokes are pointless on an app thats never used.

I do need to know whether you have looked at the Stroke Gap information I mentioned earlier to see if that relates to the issue you are having. Also, could you let me know which tools you're seeing this with? What brush sizes? It sounds like you may be experiencing more lag than some other users, so with some information we may be able to assist.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    I do need to know whether you have looked at the Stroke Gap information I mentioned earlier to see if that relates to the issue you are having. Also, could you let me know which tools you're seeing this with? What brush sizes? It sounds like you may be experiencing more lag than some other users, so with some information we may be able to assist.
    Hi Matt,

I hope this post goes here, if not, please move it ... Recently I switched from the iPad 2 to the new iPad retina screen ... I've noticed a considerable increase in lag time for the basic watercolor strokes ...

I've attached a screen shot showing the settings for a watercolor stroke, and for a similar stroke using the oil brush ... For the watercolor, there is more than a full second delay after the brush has been lifted from the page, with nothing drawn as the stroke develops ... For the oil brush, one can see the stroke develop, and any gap after brush liftoff is acceptable (although not optimal) ...

In other words, there is no visual feedback for the watercolor stroke as it develops, and this is very disconcerting ...

I don't think the lag issue is related to the gap ... I have used these tools daily for about five months now, but on the new iPad, suddenly it has become difficult to paint with any fluidity, please advise ...

Thank you,

- Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watercolor stroke.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	68235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil brush stroke.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	68234  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

We have seen a problem like that happen from time to time but we haven't been able to replicate it reliably yet. Cleaning out parked apps and rebooting may resolve it but we're looking in to why the new device may have affected the watercolor specifically and it's possible that we can do something to change the behavior.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

You asked for a specific example, and I gave one ... Please clarify what you mean when you say you haven't been able to replicate this effect "reliably" ... I am able to replicate it at will, unfortunately ... Most features of the program work exactly as they did on the iPad 2 ...

I might add that the time lag for bringing up the Presets panel also has increased considerably ... These selective lags point to something in the program that is not adjusting properly to a new environment ... It's easy to blame the user, especially if there is just one reporting, but you do say you've seen this before ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio