ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Championship 2012

Talking European Championship 2012

Here's another caricature. She's a TV journalist of RAI conducting the pre and post match show and she's now a pretty evident and slightly disquieting plastic surgery assembly at her no more green age ...
    Practising caricatures and drawing style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paola Ferrari Caricature Stretched.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	67917  
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-21-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Fine job Caesar. Plastic surgery huh? Gee, I'm shocked!
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Caesar.... nice sketch work not too flattering to her ... so much for natural beauty!...

I agree with GXHPainter. . . I think if I read it right.

I'll expand on what I personally think to avoid confusion: Regardless of how much you stylize in caricature, (and there are infinite voices in caricature, so this is mine based on MAD Magazine's influence), I believe it is important when doing a woman who is supposed to be beautiful, to make the caricature flatter them in the area of beauty, while still exaggerating the stylization consistent with the rest of the characters. So you would make their figures shapely, use the exaggeration of the standard glamor principles (beautiful shapely eyes & lashes, clear shapely lips, clear hair-do shapes etc.). And deviate from that only for effect. But if a woman is beautiful, THAT is part of their persona that you want to retain in your caricature, which you can exaggerate, but with where they were themselves headed with their looks.

One of the old movie moguls from the 1930s said that he didn't care if the beautiful starlet was supposed to be in the middle of a hurricane, she was still to have perfect hair and make-up. Fraudulent sounding, but I believe that is a good rule of thumb when one is selling charisma.

There are caricaturists who have a mean voice, from the school of journalism that loves to assassinate, like the tabloids. And while there is definitely a market for that, it's too self-conscious for my tastes and it makes the person being lampooned secondary to the artist showing what a clever person they are. It's sort of low and it distracts from the message by making it look like a personal attack.

If an artist has an angry voice, well, that's another matter. They can be like the Punk Artist version, but that has rather limited scope and will cut their audience by a huge percentage.

In the better kinds of journalism, it has been said that the writer presents the situation with enough balance that it doesn't insult the intelligence of the audience. It gives the reader enough balanced information for them to consider. Otherwise it's propaganda. You can spin it, certainly, but you want to be inviting people to read.

So that's for your consideration as you go. I think making someone look like a duck is silly enough it's not going to look like you are making them appear deformed.

I'm very impressed with your personal enthusiasm in this area. It should be perfect for you also in that caricaturing tends to be quick and one can cover a wide range of life.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Nicely done Caesar, she looks like she has lots of wordily experience in that face.
    As an Englishman dare I ask if this was before Italy gets knocked out or after.
    I know you are going to get me back for that, but you know it is just in fun.
    Geoff

A fine sketch my friend...she is mountainous...LOL
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Hai dimenticato i riflettori da 200 MW che le puntano in faccia :-) Ottima P.F. Bravo