ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Share learnings:Any devs or authors out there making ebooks, IBooks with end goal ..

Share learnings:Any devs or authors out there making ebooks, IBooks with end goal ..

Any developers /authors using AR with their goal to get a book on app store, iBooks or Kindle??

As an apple developer I make apps that "take the work out" of everyday tasks and delight users (at least that is the purpose).

My next goal is to get an illustrated book submitted to the app store (don't laugh, or windows marketplace for windows8 launch this fall) using AR. Anyone done this before? Is knowledge of ePub required for IBook submission? How about classifying an illustrated series of pages as entertainment?

At the highest level, the actual app itself can be super cool given gesture possibilities, orientations, audio, target-actions and a nifty display. Plus, it does not have to manage persistent data, does not require wifi, 3/4G, complex views or stuff that gets developers spending hours on stack overflow.

I created two pages of my test book in the iPad, saved them as png on the Mac. I had to add text because i dont think the ipad version has text (??). I'll add gesture recognizers so a swipe can advance or back up a page.

Am I all alone in ArtRage forum universe on my quest???? Let me know, please!!

You are far from alone Johnny and I'm sure I will be just the first of many to reply. Or at least it will surprise me if not.
    However for my part I have no techincal ability at all and am coming at it purely from a picture/story maker's perspective, using ArtRage for the picture making bit.
    It's PC all the way for me as I've never had the budget, nor really seen the need to go Apple (not that I wouldn't love an ipad like everyone else) - so I'll be looking more toward Android handset formats.
    For the storytelling part I have PagePlusX6 which can output to ebook format - as well as DesktopAuthor (and a couple of its associated packages) - Yet these publishing output capabilities sit idly while I chase my tail keeping up with commercial deadlines and my own ideas fester on the backburner.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Do please keep us posted.
    Here is a useful article about the pros and cons of self publishing from someone who has done it -
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...mber_124617485
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Twaager Guest

iSpring

I have been using iSpring for some years. I was in the education business and made some interactive e-learnings and storytellings using PowerPoint and iSpring. The output format is Flash (that Apple don't like) but it works on both Windows computers (like mine) and Androids phones (like mine) and pads (like mine). iSpring can be free and also supports HTML 5 now, so the new version should work on Apples too. Inside the browser. Give it a try. It is good!

http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/568996/the-cube

PDF is a good format to use inside the browser too. It is free to use and any text + picture software can produce PDF files. Like OpenOffice or Ms Word. Using Powerpoint or Keynote is great for storytelling or publishing comics in PDF format. No apps needed. Just PDF inside or outside the browser. Test the attached pdf by downloading it.
    Last edited by Twaager; 06-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.

I've written and published 5 e-books on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com. I use AR to paint the covers for each book.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Smile iBook Author

Apple has a free app called iBook Author geared toward creating ibooks for iPad. It's a Mac app. It's template based. Probably worth a look.

On the pc, I've found Mobipocket creator (free) to be really good for creating ebooks in kindle format.

Also, Calibre, also a free program, is a very good program for changing ebooks from one format to another, provided they do not have digital rights management software.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: