ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question regarding layers

Simple question regarding layers

Alright so, I'm new to Art Rage and I'm having some difficulty.

I have two images, which I would like to combine. One image is a background, and the other image is something I want to add on top if the background. The second image is all white except for a small portion, and all I want is that small portion to appear on top of the background. How do I do this? I've tried messing around with different opacities and I'm not getting what I want. I've searched through the forum and I couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't figure it out.

edit:
    I just read the sticky. Version: 3.0.0.1. OS: Windows 7.
    Last edited by Kaori; 06-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.

I'm not sure have understood you rightly. I think you are saying that you have two images on separate layers and you want to combine them?

If I have that right then it's easy. Go to the to TOP layer and then to the bottom right hand corner of the layer - the button with the lines on it - click on it and select "merge layer down" and click it and the two layers will combine.

If I've got that wrong, try again and I'll try to do better

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Thanks for the reply, Brett.

I've tried that, and it didn't work. All it does is make one of the layers disappear. Are there certain settings I have to apply to the layers first?
    Last edited by Kaori; 06-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Were the separate images created with ArtRage (or some other computer program)? If so, you need to save the image that is going to be placed on top of the other image, in a manner that allows for the background to be transparent. I'd recommend exporting to .PNG file format.

If the images are scanned, it may be tough. Without seeing the images, my first thought is to tell you to try setting the top layers blend mode to Multiply. It'll take the white away, but will also make the image itself transparent to anything beneath. You're probably going to need to erase something at some point, though. Can you post the two images? It'd be a lot easier to decide what the best course of action would be, with visuals on what is being worked with.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Background image: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JAPAN-LANDSCAPE-japan-419442_1600_1200 x 50.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	67778
    My picture:Name:  q1a.png
Views: 130
Size:  72.7 KB

They're both png. The background image is from Google Images, and the picture is something I drew on ArtRage.

Okay, so you created the second image in ArtRage, and want that one to be superimposed over the photo. As long as you didn't fill the layer in with white and then draw on it, it should be pretty simple. Just import the Photo using the File > Import Image File to Layer option. Once imported, drag that layer beneath the layer you had created, and you should be all set.

If, however, you filled the layer with white and then colored over it, you're going to need to erase the white out. There are filters that can do it, but it's not usually the best option. Only ArtRage Studio Pro allows for filter use, so if you only have the regular Studio, you're going to be stuck doing it by hand.

Ohhhhh ... you mean imported bitmaps (like jpgs or pngs) in two different layers. Then you're right, AFAIK you can't combine them, you will be left with just the top one after they're combined.

That's what photoshop is for

As someonesane says try experimenting with PNG files with the alpha component running. That will/can make the background transparent.

OK ... I just tried it, again if I have this right - if the bottom layer is a JPG and the top layer is a PNG - I made a black rectangle with with a transparent background, then the two layers combine (using Merge Layer Down) and the JPG file shows though the transparency of the PNG.

Gawd I hope I've got it right this time!

Brett

OOPS some slippage here. Do what someonesane says. he's got it!
    Last edited by hypotaxis; 06-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

That's exactly what I did. When I merged the images, all I get is just the picture of the girl with the white background.

You shouldn't have to export the image at all, though. Since you made it in ArtRage, the picture of the girl should be on layer that is independent of the canvas background (unless you had purposely filled the layer with white for some reason). You should have no problem importing the photo into your existing painting, and moving below that layer.

OK ... you want this right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	japan.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	67780
    The file below will do what you want. I cleaned it up in photoshop

Name:  q1a copy.png
Views: 118
Size:  76.6 KB
    Visit my gallery here.