ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt to paint watercolor in AR - il Ponte dei sospiri

My first attempt to paint watercolor in AR - il Ponte dei sospiri

I've seen some really beautiful watercolors here at the community and I wanted to give it a try myself.
    Watercolor is hard in IR too, and in AR it is a challenge even if you are able to regret your brushes all the time.
    I did a painting of some pencil sketches I did in Venice a couple of years ago.
    I made a lot of mistakes in this one, and I'm sad to say that I don't remember the settings for the strokes I'm happy with, there are so many controls so I get dizzy.

If you have any tips I'll be grateful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ponte_dei_sospiri.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	67726

It looks good Gaia.

Tips? What works for me is is use layer after layer. If you are adding colour make a new layer and then merge it back down onto the original layer, that way you stop your colours getting muddy. Use BIG brushes and lots (70+%) of thinners. I use the delicate on dry brush a lot of the time. I use the tiny frost knife to blend colours most of the time. Turn off auto clean in the options and try playing with that. Oh, and make sure you have 'real colour blending' turned on: [Tools][Colour options][real colour blending].

In peace

Brett
    Last edited by hypotaxis; 06-15-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Looks great. Venice is a natural for artists. Makes me want to go back.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    It looks good Gaia.

Tips? What works for me is is use layer after layer. If you are adding colour make a new layer and then merge it back down onto the original layer, that way you stop your colours getting muddy. Use BIG brushes and lots (70+%) of thinners. I use the delicate on dry brush a lot of the time. I use the tiny frost knife to blend colours most of the time. Turn off auto clean in the options and try playing with that. Oh, and make sure you have 'real colour blending' turned on: [Tools][Colour options][real colour blending].

In peace

Brett
    Thanks for the tips Brett, I used so many layers so I got confused, but didn't merged them, I'll try that...and the other things you wrote about. Yes, bigger brushes is better, I got a little too pedantic I understand. Turn out auto clean sounds good too...

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Looks great. Venice is a natural for artists. Makes me want to go back.
    Oh yes, I also want to go back, with my iPad this time...

a fantastic piece mate!

looking good!

I really like this, well done, and thanks for the water colour tips.
    Geoff

Dear Gaia, it's not bad at all. Many of us did sensibly worse in their first attempt with AR watercolors (I'm in the bunch LOL).
    Last edited by Caesar; 06-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFahran View Post
    a fantastic piece mate!
    Thanks Josh, I had a lot of fun while painting it