ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Please update support for Photoshop filters.

Please update support for Photoshop filters.

I use Filter Forge 3 and PostworkShop 3 and both seem to work with ArtRage initially. The filters load up just fine in ArtRage, the image is transferred to the filter just fine where you can make your changes, but the return trip to ArtRage shows something entirely different than what you created in the filter. Mostly you get mangled lines of visual data.
    Any way to fix this?

Thanks.

There are parts of the Photoshop plugin standard which are entirely opaque to us, and we may not be able to simulate them in our host ( ArtRage ). However, it's always worthwhile us looking into problems to see if there's anything we can do to solve the problem. Thanks for letting us know! I've added this to our bug list to look into for the future.

While I've been able to reproduce a problem with the demo version of Filter Forge 3, I've been unable to get Postworkshop 3 to be recognised, which may be due to ArtRage seeing an incompatibility and not listing the filter to prevent problems. If this is different to what you're seeing could you please let me know via email at support@artrage.com including your operating system, version of ArtRage ( e.g. 3.5.4 ), how you're accessing the filter, where you have installed the filter to, and what problem you're seeing in as much detail as possible.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks

Thanks Dave,
    I sent you some information and images to show results.

Probably not a priority - but

I'd deem myself more of a fiddler than an artist so it's not surprising that I went exploring and found Filter Forge (V4) and gave it a try. Doing some simple experimentation (a small "Cel" picture and a single dab in different colors) along with a simple image copy transform in Filter Forge that no matter what color you provide in (and it looks right in Filter Forge incoming), the result is always the same color back. From that I'd conclude that at least part of the problem is that ArtRage is expecting to find color information at a certain location (perhaps offset based on other expected elements) and it's not. That may be a version issue, or an order issue in the structure being passed back. There seems to be no distortion of the image, simply a problem with the color part of the the transformed image. On a slightly more complex picture with overlaps the results are slightly different. So if someone has the time, I'll be happy to provide more details and conduct other experiments as needed.

The latest iteration of Filter Forge doesn't appear to work at all, it looks like they are relying on a couple of Photoshop Window functions that we can't support. I do recall looking in to this previously but I believe the conclusion was that the earlier filters are using some of Photoshop's more obscure colour handling callbacks that we don't support in ArtRage and we're not really able to add support for them at this point.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.