ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Eggs In A Bowl

Eggs In A Bowl

Hope you enjoy this one...used the felt pen and some airbrush...was not real satisfied with how it turned out
    Name:  Eggs01.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  120.3 KB
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Steve.. nice work and the textured wall is cool.. this is a difficult subject but I think you did a pretty good job on it..

Hi Steve, I agree with Gary on this......eggs very difficult, anything that has a lot of white in is difficult for me as very hard to see where you have painted lol

I beautiful still life and I love the background.

Very good painting, almost metaphysical.
    There's a sort of curious paradox between the wall, supposed to be quite solid, with all those cracks, and the eggs, supposed to be fragile, with their intact shells.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A good start on a difficult subject, I find the shadows on the eggs a little conflicting given the light direction from the right .
    I still like it though.
    Geoff

This is really nice in a Country style. I think that there are a couple things I would recommend that might be what isn't satisfying you.

I can see you are going generally to a trompe l'oeil (trans: fool the eye) kind of approach owing to the textures you did include: crackle on the wall, wood grain surface, porcelain of the bowl, and eggshell surface. This is a symphony in textures. So you might want to consider taking the finish a little farther to show how those surfaces play off of one another.

To go painterly showing strokes and such is possible, but it changes the spin of the picture. So you may want to tighten up your surfaces, particularly in the porcelain bowl, and anywhere else you choose as you continue.

Your textures need to keep their place in the eye-catching sense. And the bowl looks a wee bit like an underpainting. One can get away with a washy technique, as with watercolors sometimes, but generally the main subject is given a wee bit more attention to descriptive detail. The shadow on the bowl is loose and as such it's not doing its job, which is to show how the bowl is turning, and the surface of it by means of the nature of the shadow.

The crackle in the background is a wee bit strong and contrasty compared with the bowl and eggs -- which are the main part of the painting and where you want to put your emphasis.

This really is very good and a real challenge. Bravo you! Save this and perhaps see on a copy where it can take you. We have the luxury of never having to worry that we overworked it irreversibly. Thus we can try out all kinds of things without concern for anything but getting more facile with our painting chops.

You're nearly there though -- about 90%. And despite all my criticism, it's not bad. But listing the different possible ideas makes it sound like a huge passel of problems. But it's not. It's looking like it's on the right path. Just could do with a little more resolution.

Nice to see you painting again.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

A lovely still life. It's a difficult subject, but you've done a great job.
    I like very much the contrast from eggs and background texture. Much interesting
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Thanks my friends...I truly appreciate all the C&C offered as I endeavor to grow :-)
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.