ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketch ( updated)

Sketch ( updated)

My feeble attempt at a pencil sketch, something i know little about.
    Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by limey-g; 06-12-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Geoff, I'd say not feeble at all but nicely done!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Quote Originally Posted by jibes View Post
    Geoff, I'd say not feeble at all but nicely done!
    Thanks jibes, I must confess I feel totally out of my depth with just a pencil.
    Geoff

Thats a super drawing Geoff
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks Alexandra and coops , I was not sure if to post it or not, I decided to attempt this as i have a new tablet and after using the old one for some 8 yrs
    I thought a good idea to get used to the new settings in artrage for the new one.
    Geoff

I see You started pretty well with pencil, thus You'll soon become a master with this tool too.
    I'm sorry I cannot comment Your other work because the Facebook word in the title causes its filtering in our premises.
    I'll have to remind to have a look in the evening at home, even if it's a period of European Championship (soccer, ça va sans dir), so I'll be busy watching the matches, interviews and reportings ...
    Yesterday Italy scared a little bit the world and European champions of Spain (it eventually ended 1-1), so it looks a pretty promising start (our teams are the two who won the last two editions of world championship).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I see You started pretty well with pencil, thus You'll soon become a master with this tool too.
    I'm sorry I cannot comment Your other work because the Facebook word in the title causes its filtering in our premises.
    I'll have to remind to have a look in the evening at home, even if it's a period of European Championship (soccer, ça va sans dir), so I'll be busy watching the matches, interviews and reportings ...
    Yesterday Italy scared a little bit the world and European champions of Spain (it eventually ended 1-1), so it looks a pretty promising start (our teams are the two who won the last two editions of world championship).
    Thanks Caesar for your kind words, I hope to get better with the pencil as time goes by.
    BTW I took the Facebook word out of my title for my other work so you might be able to see it now, just called " My friend "
    Regards Geoff

Thank You, dear Geoff! I'll give a look right now then.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Don't be harsh on yourself. This is really good for an early go. I can see that the other work you have been doing which has been very closely tied to the photographic reproduction has been training you in what makes beautiful women translate to beautiful pictures. I can see you have all the elements placed pretty well. So not it's merely a matter of editing out that which is not as important, and sharpening up that which is.

There are several schools of thought on what is important. I am inclined to believe like most that it is the head being the area of greatest focus, and within that the features you want to emphasize -- including all of it, if that is how you want it.

And then, after the head, you can get a little looser if you want, in order to flavor it and balance it with an artistic hand. However, you may be of the school to render it entirely, which is fine as well. But this drawing looks like you could take it either way. And time will tell as you evolve.

In this one, like I say, it's not bad at all. And you could experiment on a separate copy, saving this one, by pushing your values in the face more, especially the eyes and mouth and for balance a little in the hair. But with the eyes, you can have more of a value range so that you can imply the blue of them with more in-between values by having the lashes and such going to black. It widens the value range. What I mean is that if you do it, you don't have to make everything that has gray on it blacker. It's selective and black in certain places will make it so. It's to make it a symphony in B&W.

By the way, careful with the nose. It's sort of flattening out and the nostrils are rather dark. Study the form a little and manipulate your lighting to make it work. Lighting is a great tool, especially in B&W.

Nice one. Suggests lots of success in this direction for you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream