ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2012-0610 Message in Stone

2012-0610 Message in Stone

Something I've seen: a king and queen, praying and holding onto each other
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at. You're talking about one of those carved sarcophagus covers or whatever that cover where the body of the king, or knights or whoever could afford to have one carved lay interred. Sometimes it would be built into the floor as was something I saw in Florence Italy and Paris (I think).

The one design flaw was that people throughout the centuries, and especially tourists, and even floor sweepers, would walk and brush over many of them and the images would become erased back to vague, even abstract or undifferentiated vaguely human figures -- which I found noteworthy in itself -- sort of like the slowest sand painting taking centuries to blow away. And your painting is so undifferentiated that it feels like that has been happening. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust sort of process, regardless of how some people resist. And you painting sort of feels that way though I have no idea about the state of the stone image that you depict.

Romantic notion to the original though that speaks of eternal love and all that -- the echos of which are fading from this world but can be faintly heard still.

Anyway, I would love to have seen that one you mention. But your description says enough. I love the idea of the body positions showing where their devotions in life lay and where their journey would hopefully take them. Sort of the rich man's words on a headstone.

Conversely, and irreverently, I found memorable the headstone poem from the wild west days - up on boot hill:

Here lies
    Lester Moore
    Four slugs
    from a 44
    No Les
    No More

A wee bit of contrast with the one you painted. But I digress. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream