ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What is this second

What is this second

I made this charcoal there are more than twenty years. The version seen here is redone using artrage. I redesigned everything, I made a file of high quality there is a way to print in large format up to 150 x 100 cm.
    Name:  ce_que_c_est_deuxiemement.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  188.3 KB
    Last edited by CataTon; 06-11-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Nice design! Is the 2nd one a digital version of the 1st one?
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Quote Originally Posted by jibes View Post
    Nice design! Is the 2nd one a digital version of the 1st one?
    No, That was an error, I didn't realize there where the picture two times.
    Here is the original drawing if you wanted to see : http://www.fabriceplas.be/gallery/de...t-deux.jpg.php

I am going to compare the ArtRage Version and the original drawing.

The one done in Artrage does not have the same character of line as this real world drawing. I believe that in part may be do to the scale at which you are drawing. The original looks like it was on a big piece of paper, thus you were able to get more gestural with your mark making. You could move your whole arm and make subtle change of directions and weight of the line. Arm movement on large paper vs. wrist/finger movement in digital.

When you do it on a tablet and monitor at a much smaller scale, the character of the line is going to change, unless you expressly make a point of paying attention to subtle details in the original. It's not so much about always preferring digital vs. real world drawing. I'm basing that on what the differences seem to be and when you own that the nature is changing, you can become masterful at what digital allows for. And there's a lot of things you can do digitally that you cannot in the real world. So they are both good methods.

I very much like the original. You worked the material differently. You got physically into it more, I think, because you were analyzing the figure itself, rather than revisiting it.

I hope you can pursue your drawings because it was very good, so you have an aptitude for it. Changing scale does change things though, and your digital drawings will likely evolve into their own thing owing to what I mentioned.

Very exciting times we live in for artists.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I am going to compare the ArtRage Version and the original drawing.

The one done in Artrage does not have the same character of line as this real world drawing. I believe that in part may be do to the scale at which you are drawing. The original looks like it was on a big piece of paper, thus you were able to get more gestural with your mark making. You could move your whole arm and make subtle change of directions and weight of the line. Arm movement on large paper vs. wrist/finger movement in digital.

When you do it on a tablet and monitor at a much smaller scale, the character of the line is going to change, unless you expressly make a point of paying attention to subtle details in the original. It's not so much about always preferring digital vs. real world drawing. I'm basing that on what the differences seem to be and when you own that the nature is changing, you can become masterful at what digital allows for. And there's a lot of things you can do digitally that you cannot in the real world. So they are both good methods.

I very much like the original. You worked the material differently. You got physically into it more, I think, because you were analyzing the figure itself, rather than revisiting it.

I hope you can pursue your drawings because it was very good, so you have an aptitude for it. Changing scale does change things though, and your digital drawings will likely evolve into their own thing owing to what I mentioned.

Very exciting times we live in for artists.

Thank you for this very interesting comment. Yes, the charcoal was made on a sheet of 55 x 75 cm. It was charcoal and white spirit. I have not tried to reproduce exactly the same way because I did not want to simply make a copy, I want to do other things with my digital paintings. To work as in reality, I miss the white spirit flowing at random, dilutions, rags to wipe etc.. I just want to send the paintings that I can sell on sites such as print on demand artflakes, FineArtAmerica, redbubble. I think the quality is better for printing from digital paintings.