ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Eraser

New Eraser

HI there, I've just been downloading lots of lovely new brushes into my Art Rage Pro, and am wondering whether any can be transferred into 'eraser' form. I love color filling the page with layers beneath and scrubbing out some roughly with the Eraser. I can do this in Photoshop as the brushes and erasers are interchangeable, and would love to in Art Rage. Sticker Sprays don't transfer across. I want a Grungy eraser that leaves bits behind. Any suggestions please?

Yes, me too... I would love to have that feature, so useful.
    Not sure if this thread shouldn't be under 'feature requests' though, as I dont think its actually possible, although I always wondered why not. It would be a great feature!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Maybe we can approximate that effect by using a stencil over the layer we're erasing. I've enjoyed exposing colors by erasing a solid dark layer through stencils I've made from photos of water or super-tiny crosshatching. I've had some fun effects. I think the Subtle-Grunge stencils might work best to make a rough-eraser look, and I'll try that next. I set the eraser on 15% or so, make it really big, and erase incompletely and messily. The Subtle Grunge might put down the effects of erasing roughly with an ArtGum.

More

Clever idea and thanks so much Sueellen, I have just downloaded Peter W 's grunge stencils, tried it and it's brilliant. It's amazing what people come up with! I love forums :0)
    Last edited by copespeak; 06-09-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Not erasing as such but - Whenever I'm using a layer set to a blend mode like 'multiply or watercolour' (usually in a watercolour way to add washes, tone or colour), I enjoy the fact that you can use tools like the chalk to paint white back into it and effectively erase with texture. Should work with stickers that respond to colour control that allow you to use white with them.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Wow. Okay, that sounds brilliant. I'm just learning how to use blend layers-- this will be a fun "first toy" in my layers learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    Not erasing as such but - Whenever I'm using a layer set to a blend mode like 'multiply or watercolour' (usually in a watercolour way to add washes, tone or colour), I enjoy the fact that you can use tools like the chalk to paint white back into it and effectively erase with texture. Should work with stickers that respond to colour control that allow you to use white with them.
    Nick...
    I have been experimenting with your tip...
    Sorry to say that I get the same result if I just paint with white on top of another color.

Is ther anything that I have missed

I have tried with one and two layers

Mic

Hi Micmac,

Bet you haven't missed anything, but I've done my usual and not explained myself well.

If you are working on a white background using colour you can indeed use white to paint with various tools, effectively acting as an eraser.
    If however you're beyond that and there is a base tone, painting with white will stand out like a sore thumb.

I tend to work translucent layers over opaque ones to build up depth and colour. In the attached image I have painted on two layers over white and a tonal area. One is normal and the other multiply blend mode as labeled. I've then painted with white chalk on both to show what I mean.
    When using simple opaque paint on normal blend mode areas, the painted white will show up against a background that isn't white - on multiply blend mode it does not. That's all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erasing.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	67665  
    Last edited by Nickillus; 06-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks Nick. Great tip!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========