ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dancer

Dancer

Newest painting.
    Took an old drawing from my sketchbook and painted it.
    I'd love any feedback you have.
    Constructive criticism is the only way I can keep growing.
    So, comments? Suggestions? Feedback?
    Thanks for any/all help.

-Brett T.

Sometimes, all you want to do is dance...

I like it the swirl of the skirt is lovely, for me I would have loved to see more of the face, but that is personal preference.
    Geoff

thanks

Thanks for the input!
    I originally had even less of the face & hair showing in my sketch.
    It was a sketch of her movement and body with trying to keep that the dance the main focus.
    But, when I painted it the face and hair were brought more into the foreground.
    I chose the bolder colors to offset that natural pull to look at a face.

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    I like it the swirl of the skirt is lovely, for me I would have loved to see more of the face, but that is personal preference.
    Geoff

Yeah, it looks good overall. I think owing to the stylization of the whole thing being a light over dark feel (not sure about that though) that you present a sort of rhythm in the design. There's lots of movement and a lot of orderliness. To me the hair is the odd man out. It doesn't have quite the same sensibility. It's a little more chaotic. I would design it a little more, and if possible I would model it somehow in spots, even if it's fuzzing the edge a little or something like that. I wouldn't know for sure until I sat down and messed with it. It's not my style of painting so I would have to work it around to discover how I could make it fit in to the overall sensibility of the stule.

Great figure. Really good sort of corkscrew rhythm that says not just forward movement or up but also a little side to side or a spin a little. And maybe that's the thing with the hair. It feels floppy up and down as opposed to following the same spiral action. Conceivably you could work that angle a little. Of course it's possible for it to be that way in real life, but this painting is stylized heavily enough for it to be more about your selections as the man with the vision. I consider hair very important in a female of this overall beauty.

Anyway, great job. I really like it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Wow I love it, the feeling of the dance really comes through in this fine painting. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Excellent painting...the colors are great and the folds in the clothing were well done
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

the colours and the action are beautiful. i like how they all work together to pull the eye to the top right corner of the picture. i feel the the face is the least sucessfull part of the picture. the chin facing down right interrupts the flow and there is nowhere for the eye to go at that point. having it framed all around in black disconnects it from the rest of the piece. an upturned neck and a bit of chin disappearing off the top right corner would complete the flow out of the corner

an approach of figure and negative space is to allow the eye to wander around the picture and explore the space. trapping the eye interrupts the flow and forces the eye to reset to somehwere else ( which is okay if that is the goal of the piece) the action and energy of this piece sweeps the eye to the top right corner. your options are to create a flow to move the eye back into the rest of the picture or you allow it to escape

you should be proud of this piece. it tells a beautiful story. I would really like to see a version with the upturned neck.
    Last edited by cpoole; 06-16-2012 at 12:36 AM.