ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Playing with layers. 6 lines becomes a dress. Tutoral added.

Playing with layers. 6 lines becomes a dress. Tutoral added.

I started out with 6 lines drawn with crown and manipulated the layers transforming them into what you see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dress.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	67449
    Last edited by shadowslake; 06-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.

A really interesting experiment. Now You're ready for fashion design and creation!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    A really interesting experiment. Now You're ready for fashion design and creation!
    Thank you Caesar. I actually was working on a teck for doing hair and after a few layers noticed that I could do this. The design for hair failed though. I will keep trying.

This is very well done...I wish you would consider a step by step tutorial on this for the rest of us
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

I will give a tutorial production a try.

You use tools in this tutorial to manipulate the layers to produce this effect.

Duplicate layer.
    Transform layer contents.
    Blend mode.
    Merge layer.

Start with a blank canvas and draw a few lines.

Stage 1

Name:	Tutorial stage 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	67485

For stage 2 douplicate layer then Transform layer contents. Then shift the seccond layer slightly offset from the other layer. Then Merge layer and you should have one layer with twice as many lines on it. The results should look something like this.

Stage 2

Name:	Tutorial stage 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	67486

Repeat stage 2 several times shifting the layer and merging them untill you have a few layers.

Example 3

Name:	Tutorial stage 3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	67488

Stage 3 is where Blend mode comes into play. Blend mode has a setting called highlight and shadow. This allows you to produce just that, Highlight and shadow in the lines. Keep repeating stage 2 but now play with stage 3 added. Should look something like this depending on the tools selected.

Example 4

It should now apear to have texture.

Name:	Tutorial stage 4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	67489

The tutorial is quite interesting. The lines may be duplicated, translated, but also rotated and blended in different ways. I can understand though it's not the best approach to hair. For them it should first be decided the great masses in different tones, the hair should then follow to give their linear texture also according to the various areas and the relevant light impingement ...
    There are tutorials on how to paint or draw hair, certainly in the web, and here too I think.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    The tutorial is quite interesting. The lines may be duplicated, translated, but also rotated and blended in different ways. I can understand though it's not the best approach to hair. For them it should first be decided the great masses in different tones, the hair should then follow to give their linear texture also according to the various areas and the relevant light impingement ...
    There are tutorials on how to paint or draw hair, certainly in the web, and here too I think.
    Agreed. I think this method is more for textures than hair. I have studied a few methods for creating hair and once I find one I like I will share it. This was more to learn the ways to manipulate layers and how they interact with eachother. Thanks again Caesar.

A very unusual outcome but it worked out very well
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/